Maxine rolls past 50k

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Lazy in AZ, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    So.... this week my baby turned a milestone that most bikes of her breed don't get a chance to see. Not only will she be turning 25 soon, but her odometer rolled past the big five 0 on Wednesday. Yup, my Maxine is now 50,185 miles young.

[video=facebook;1391393065163]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1391393065163&ref=mf[/video]

I'm surprised at how well she is holding up with the kind of running that I'm doing with her every day. 530 miles per week is a lot to put on a bike her age, but she takes it in stride and is very expectant for the day that I take her to the mountains so she can show me what she is REALLY like.

[video=facebook;1391394305194]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1391394305194&ref=mf[/video]

I'm very proud to be her owner, and I wish that I was able to hang with some of you local Viffers so she had some family to be around instead of always being the one to stand out in the crowd (not that she minds the attention LOL).

Anyways, my girl took these vids as I turned the 50k mark and I wanted to share with you her special moment. Hope to ride with you all soon!

Ride safe and God bless!

Harry
    :peace::vtr2:

2. jahlov420

jahlov420 New Member

Map
    thats super. keep taking care of it and it should give u a ton more miles. i'm at 53k on my 87 and its doesn't give me an ounce of trouble manically. i have yet to even see another 2nd gen vfr in real life.

3. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Maxine is just now broken in.

What kind of oil do you use and how often do you change it?

I had a gorgeous '86 750 that also was very reliable and fun to ride.

White wheels rule!

4. humvee

humvee New Member

Nice. You've put a lot of work into her too, so be proud that she's running great thanks to you.

I'm almost embarrased to say, my '86 just turned over 15K miles. She spends more time in the comfort of the garage than on the road. My '85 only has 16K miles. I've only had both of them less than a year, so I can't take the (blame/credit?) for the low mileage. I'll have to do something about it this winter though!

It's getting to be about that time for an AZ ride! Oct is pretty busy for me with elk season, etc, so I might post something up in the AZ section (again) for a Nov ride.

Maybe by then it will stay below 100!

5. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I can't see the pics. Just some Facebook message.

6. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    50,000? huh....mine (86 700 vfr) showed 68,000 + on the clock when I saved her from the scrap man...course the way she looks now ...you'd think the scrap man got her.....but hey she runs well enough and I ain't complaining....I would love to put a newer VFR in the garage for the long distance trips and ride the 700 around but use whatcha got.......cheers and congrats ...

Crusty

7. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    +1, I am not able to view the video, can you re-post please?

On this note,,,congrats on the milestone! 25 years and 50,000 miles, impressive stats indeed!

8. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    OK, I went in and adjusted my privacy settings on the vids, when I posted I was able to see them so I thought all was well. Hadn't taken into consideration that I was logged in. Should be able to view them now.

The noise you hear when she rolls up on my left side is the chain. It's VERY old and needs replacement. I adjusted it the next day and it quieted down some, but she's really stretched out.
    :frown:

9. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Nice vids....nice bike.

That a centerstand I see....lucky!

My chain needs replacing too....amongst other things.

Good luck to both of you in the future.

10. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    Shell Rotella T 15w40 synthetic, changed every 5-6k miles (standard Honda filter)

11. jahlov420

jahlov420 New Member

Map
    you use synthetic huh? i figured my bike was so old that it wouldn't make a different. i've been using regular valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil 10w-40 and i change it every 3k

12. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Would appreciate your thoughts on using a synthetic motor oil in a vintage engine.

I've often read that it is best to use Honda GN4 or other high grade petroleum based oil for these engines.

13. rustedroot

rustedroot New Member

Regular automotive oil is not good for motorcycle engines with a wet clutch pack. Only use oil specifically rated for motorcycle engines because automotive engine oil has reduced zinc and phospherous levels (designed to reduce catalytic converter contamination).

Honda service manuals say to use SE or SF classification oils. But those classifications have been superceded. Honda GN4 is classified as SJ, and exceedes the older oil qualifications.

Regular -vs- synthetic is not as important. Generally you get lower operating temps with synthetic, but at a higher cost.

It is my opinion that you can not run synthetic oil for longer change intervals compared to regular oil, others may disagree.

14. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I have heard that Shell Rotella-T is a very good oil to use for Motorcycles.

BUT.....it has very poor "shearing" qualities I hear. Not very good for Gearboxes and especially not good for Gear-Driven-Cam Engines. Rotella T will break down faster than normal in a VFR Engine.

The main issues with using a Synthetic in older vehicles is the chance they can cause oil leaks. (Not cause them...but make tiny leaks more apparent)

The other issue is, "do I want to spend that much money?" "Is it worth it if I still change the oil every 3k? 5k?"

Personally I use Motul 5100 10w40 Synthetic Blend with a Honda Filter.

I read on the Bobistheoilguy website that the Honda GN4 oil isn't very good, as far as additives and how well it holds up.

Here's a lengthy but good read:
    Oils Well That Ends Well, Part 1 - Sport Rider Magazine

15. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Hey Slow. Thanks for the post.

I have read that it is best to stay with petroleum based motor oil in older engines. Wanted to get Lazy's take as he posts up some definitive 411's - his post on aftermarket exhaust systems being at the top of the list.

I know that there is a lot of opinions on GN4. Personally I like using this as it is a Honda product designed for older engines like the V-Fours. I don't see a reason to stray from this, but again it's not to say that there aren't other options out there.

16. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Very true IC. I hope I didn't plop my opinion in there when you wanted to hear Lazy's opinion and not mine.

Having gone through some more threads and Oil analysis on BITOG it looks like the general consensus is that GN4 does the job....but for the same $$ you can get better oils.

I have been debating on whether I should put a Full Synth in my 2nd Gen but I'd hate for this thing to start leaking or burning oil.

The Shell Rotella-T gets amazing reviews and everyone seems to like it. It's a good oil at a good price....I just worry about it's shearing qualities in gearboxes and Gear driven cam engines.

Lots of riders say they can see a bit of foaming through the oil sight glass after hard riding.

17. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Not at all Slow.

Lazy in AZ does write a mean tech article but I'm happy to hear other thoughts too. I know many a keyboard has been worn out discussing this topic! ;-)

18. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    LOL....that's for sure. :tongue:

19. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    sorry, if your speedo is off by 10% like the rest of us; you still have about 4500 miles to go before you "actually" crack 50k

20. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    speedo 'marm!