Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z6--durability

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by CElias-VFR, Jul 27, 2012.

1. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

Dear All,

I am using Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z6 on my RWB 07. With about 3,500 miles on the back tire I start to see signs of tear in the middle of the tire. 90% of my riding is on twisty beautiful roads here in Virginia, and I although I go fast I am also a 52-year kid therefore most of you would probably go faster than I go. On the sides of the tire I go up to the second mark.

I should have started by saying that I really like these tires, there are really good.

Any exchange sharing your experience on the durability of the Z6 would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

CElias

2. EpiEric

EpiEric New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    How old is the tire ? Z6 is an older type........a tire can be too old....

3. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

I bought the tire in November 2011. I have no idea when it was produced. Is that what you mean? Do you experience with "old" Z6 Roadtec Interact? Or is this just a random comment?

4. EpiEric

EpiEric New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    Yes, I mean when it's produced.
    My advise: check the DOT-code. 4 numbers on the tire. first 2 numbers = week; third and fourth number = year. (example: 3411 means that the tire is produced in week 34 of the year 2011). But since you bought the tire in 2011 I would be suprised when it's an old one. And iff it is......you have to have a good talk to the guy who sold the tire to you. A "new"tire never should be older than 2 years...
    When a tire is not stored properly damage can be done. Rubber can be dried out.

(sorry, my English is not that good....I hope you understand what I mean...)

I have some experience with Metz Z6 (second set) but do not recognize the signs of tears......that's new to me...

After Z6, metzeler started producing Z7 and Z8. So Z6 is an older type, but still can be produced in 2011. I bought also a new set in 2011. Year of production 2010....But it's also possible that someone sold you an much older tire....I don't know. I don't want accuse som-one....but it happens...in Europe it does....

5. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

I really thank you for your input and your English is perfect, probably better than mine. The tire says DOT 3409, which would indicate that is was produced sometime during the second part of 2009. I bought it from Amazon sold by DRA Distribution. I never thought that this would be an issue and I will be more careful in the future. I will take pics to share with you as well.

Which one do you use now, the Z8?

Thank you again,

CElias

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    EpiEric is spot on with his assessment, in my opinion. (Good job, sir!)

CElias - You were probably right at the cusp of having that considered an "old" tire - tire manufactured in roughly August of 2009, and sold/purchased in November of 2011.

Good luck in your search for some replacements. I'm not familiar with the Metzler, so unless you are just in the mood for some bullshit, I'll refrain. :)

7. EpiEric

EpiEric New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    I still use Z6 also. To my great satisfaction. Drove appr 10.000 km (6500 miles ?) and i think they last for another 10.000 km My driving style is sportly. I'm not an extreme racer (52 years old and a little wiser. )
    2009 is not too old. I realy don't know what happened to your tire. Only the rear ?
    Maybe pictures tell me more.

(btw Thanks for the compliment on my writing. I do my best haha)

8. EpiEric

EpiEric New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    Thank you sir !

9. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

Thank you Eric, I will take pictures and share post them. Cheers, CElias

10. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Yes, the Z6 is an older tyre, having been superseded by the Z8 but it is still a good tyre. I have done 6000km on my current set of Z6's and they are showing f-all wear.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that the Z6 has made me a Metzeler fan, and I will most definitely be buying Metzelers as my next set of tyres.

11. EpiEric

EpiEric New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    In The Netherlands Metzeler is not popular (anymore). I don't know why......
    I guess it's a marketing thing.
    Seems that everyone wants Michelin Pilot or Dunlop Roadsmart.....I don't know why.....
    I stick with Metzeler....I'm also a fan.

12. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

Eric and all,

I went for a ride today and I knew I needed a new back tire, however, I was not expecting for what it happen. Look at the pictures. This tire has 4,100 miles on it (Z6 Interact that started this threat). What I noticed is the uneven exposure of the wires. Is this normal?

Cheers and thanks for all the responses!

CElias

Attached Files:

13. EpiEric

EpiEric New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    WTF happened to that tire ?? After 4.100 miles ?
    Did you make burn-outs ? ???
    This is NOT normal (never seen it before). Tire is on the left side more "gone"than on the right.
    Looks like that tire is "eaten" bij something.......:confused:

Eather that is a damned bad tire (not likely) or there is/was something wrong with air-pressure, suspension (likely) and/or outline (likely).
    Is the stearing okay ? Is it easy to drive straith when no hands on the clip-ons ?

Another option: you are a very very agressive driver.......

At this moment it's a mystery to me...

14. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

Dear Eric,

No burnouts. No problems steering, I take off both arms to stretch and the bike goes straight beautifully. I check tire pressure periodically, back tire always on or close to 42 psi. Everything feels normal and I trust these tires, so I lean the bike without concerns. Suspension maybe, but I cannot tell and the bike feels fine.

Am I an aggressive rider? I don't think so, I don't ride on highways, most of my riding is on twisties. I use the engine to brake, when I ride there is acceleration and braking, but I am not Valentino at all.

I sent a note to Metzeler in the US using their website to see if they want my tire, I don't expect a response but if I do I will let you all know.

I am buying the Z8 next, let's see how that one goes.

Cheers and thanks for your response,

CElias

PS. When you come to the East Coast of the US let me know, there are some beautiful roads in Virginia and North Carolina.

15. EpiEric

EpiEric New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    Dear CElias,
    Yes, please let me know if you get a response from Metzeler.....

Whish I could come to the East Coast of US............I'd like that......
    But first I have to visit some friends in Canada. Then the euro's will be gone for a while :rolleyes:

Let me know when you come to Europe......great roads to. Especialy in the Alps....

Good luck.
    grz
    Eric

EDit: My son knows a lot about car-tires (he sells car-tires); he is not an bike-tire-expert. But he thinks it's a production-failure. Tire tread loosens. Another possibility is too low air-pressure while driving high-speed. It can do this damage in just a few miles (50 miles or so ). Since the pressure is okay according to you, it has to be a production failure........says my son .....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  16. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

Thank you Eric and send my thanks to your son as well. This must be a production failure, I have no idea about quality control of tire manufacturing. So I google "where are Metzeler tires for motorcycles manufacture" and it turns out that they are manufactured in Brazil and Germany.

I also found, thanks to amazing Google, the following from Metzler Brazillian Made Tires - BikersPost.com

Metzler makes motorcycle tires in Germany and Brazil. I have had two sets of German made Metzler Tires and they were excellent. However, I have had 4 Brazillian made Metzler tires and three of the four tires had serious factory defects. One had broken nylon bands inside the tire which ate away at the innertube causing sudden deflation. And two had serious cracks between the treads causing the tire to be subject to coming apart. Since you cannot specify the place of manufacture when ordering a Metzler tire, this is a serious problem for Metzler. I have used my last Metzler tire until I can order a German made Metzler or am satisfied that their manufacturing problems in Brazil have been addressed.

So I think that if this is true I will consider not buying Metzelers again. In spite of what the note says, my tire has "Made in Germany" on it, do you think that they would manufacture in Brazil and yet stamp made in Germany?

To bad I already ordered my tire from Amazon, I will see if I can cancel and get a Pirelli Angel--that is what I use for my Concours.

Cheers and thank you again Eric, I owe you and your son a good beer,

CElias

17. EpiEric

EpiEric New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    You're welcome.
    Hope you can cancel it.

Thanks for the beer.....cheers !!

18. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

Dear Eric and all,

I did contact Monkey Moto, the company that sold the tire through Amazon market, and as I mentioned Metzeler directly via their website. Monkey Moto answered right away and I requested that they pass the information to their wholesale distributor, they were nice but I don't expect any additional exchange with them.

Metzeler did answer, and I do not know at this stage what would come out of the exchange. I am glad they did, and I copy fyi the relevant exchange:

Hello

Your comments are very interesting and yes we could look at the pictures if you would like to send some. In regards to the stated mileage and this concern can you tell us how many miles are on the bike and what air pressures are you using? Then what is the date code and serial number of this tire, and here is an example of what we are looking for, DOT EC 1Q A123 2208.

Thank you

Dear Sir/Madam,

My bike is a VFR Honda 2007 with 7,700 miles on it--I bought it new from a Honda dealer in 2010. The tire that we are discussing is the second set of tires that I installed on this bike replacing the original tires which were Metzeler as well. I installed them at 3,600 miles in August 2011. The data that you requested is DOT EB XN K272 3409. I bought this tire in August 2011 from MonkeyMoto via Amazon market place. I check tire pressure every time I ride, and the back tire is always at 42 +/- 1 psi. I am 53 and although I ride fast I would not consider myself an aggressive rider. I live in Virginia and ride on twisty roads.

I am attaching pictures of the tire, I have more, let me know if you need more.

The front tire, also a Z6, is in perfect condition, I can send pictures of that tire if you think it would help. I keep pressure in the front tire at 38 +/- 1 psi.

Hello again

In both pictures we see more wear on the tire’s left center area and this is typical in North America due to crowned roads. We also see the l/s of the tire in each picture that the tread depth is below 1/32th inch. We do not see anything unusual in pic # 277 but are we supposed to? And based on the tire’s serial number we can confirm that it is a Roadtec Z6 Interact 180/55ZR17 TL (73W) made in the 34th week of 2009. Thank you

Hi,

The two pictures are of the same tire, is it normal for a tire to show wear in some section and not on the other? Is it normal to show the wires at 4,100 miles? I do not ride on highways, mostly on twisty roads with very little traffic, in fact, this is motorcycle paradise.

I clarify that I do not want a refund or a new tire nor anything from you. I am trying to help you improve quality control of your tires. Let me know if you need more pictures or if you want this tire sent to you. Or let me know if you just want to drop this event without an investigation.

19. Guj

Guj New Member

Im interested in this thread. I bought my '08 with Z4's. I got it in 2011 with 0.1 miles on it, so yes the tires were probably made in '07. I got 7,000 miles out of the front tire before I replaced it with the Z8. No issues with the Z4 front, just started cupping so I replaced it. I still have the Z4 rear tire on with 9,600 miles on it, again with no problems (getting close to replacing it, first thing next year probably). With almost 3,000 miles on the Z8 front I havent noticed any issues yet, but Im going to take a closer look tonight when I get home. For what it's worth I ran Pilot Power 2ct's on my old CBR and loved those, but the VFR came with Z4's and I got good mileage out of them so I kept with them. I guess if one is weary about Metzeler's I would recommend the Michelin.

20. Kure

Kure New Member

I'm with Metzeler Z6 drove 10,000 miles and when I took them off the motorcycle were still in good condition. They were able to cross more safely 1500-2000 miles.
    From this season I ride Metzeler Z8. I've crossed some 2,500 miles with them and I can say that I am very pleased. They are much better than the old tires, especially in the rain. Motorcycle easier to fall in the curve, is manageable, it has a better grip, safer on the sharp braking.
    Otherwise, I like to drive fast, as far as I let my 50 years. :smile: