Michelin Pilot Road 2 or Pilot Road 3?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by CharlesW, May 13, 2011.

1. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

Any experiences withthe newer PR3 compared to the PR2?

Is the only real difference the sipes?
    My riding in the wet is only when it can't be avoided so the sipes wouldn't seem to be of much value to me.
    It would also seem that the sipes might contribute to some noise and even possibly have some wiggle/squirmy feel.

What do those of you that have tried the PR3 think about it as a dry conditions tire?
    Improvement or hype?

2. jakeisonline

jakeisonline New Member

My only experience so far has been trying to get hold of them! Seems they're pretty popular, as my local wasn't able to source them anywhere within the next 3 weeks...

3. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    If you're a rain avoider, as I am, why not save the money by getting the PR 2's; it's not like they're bad in the wet. Admittedly, I don't use either, so my post is essentially meaningless.

4. Slothrop

Slothrop New Member

Bike magazine has had two articles about them, in the May and June issues. Apparently they are amazing in the wet, and average in the dry.

5. DAC

DAC New Member

United States
    Map
    "Them" and "they" being the PR3s?

6. Slothrop

Slothrop New Member

"Yes" and "yes."

7. superpsu

superpsu New Member

I don't know much regarding the new PR3's, but I did use PR2's on my previous bike: 2003 Ducati Monster 620 Dark i.e. When I first rode the bike with the PR2's, I was not prepared for the quicker steering as compared to the Conti SM tires I had. However, once I got a feel for the PR2's, I loved the way they handled in both dry and wet conditions. Also, I noticed that those tires last longer than the Conti's. I hope this helps about my experience with PR2's. I recommend them.

8. DAC

DAC New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm a fairly new rider with experience limited to Metzler Me4 stockers and Pilot Road 2. The Metzlers were okay for me to start on but felt a little powdery as I learned to lean the bike more. The PR2s stick quite nicely and are very confidence inspiring for a newb like me.

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I have had 2 sets Michelin Road 2s before a brief dalliance with more Sports orientated Dunlop Q2s which I have just replaced with Road 3s.

The reason for the daliance with the Q2s was wanted something that turned quicker than R2s when riding with my Gixxer / Blade / R1 riding friends which they did deliver BUT compared to the much better cold wet weather ability ( the Q2s were terrible ) and double milage of the Road 2s the better dry road twisties trade off wasn't worth while to me as I mainly like to do longish distance country backroads with twisties and even if a little harder work the R2s still grip pretty good when riding hard so still no trouble to keep up with faster bikes. :cool:

The Road 3s must have been under a special deal as they were only $10 more for me to buy fitted from my local bike shop so thought worth a punt. So far in the dry the Road 3s feel very similar the Road 2s ie slow linear turn in although I haven't pushed them in the twisties so wont really have a good idea until after I head up North to do the Oxley this weekend. :biggrin:

10. ILuvtheMountains

ILuvtheMountains New Member

Map
    I have 2's on my bike and while I have only just recently broke them in, I think they are great. Nimble, grippy and look like they will stand up to some serious mileage. The Mich website says they are still great in wet conditions so I felt like they were the way to go for sure.

11. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Just got back from a 860 mile overnighter following country backroads to my favourite Winter time twisties we call the Oxely Hwy. As predicted the Michelin Road 3s are very similar in the dry to the Road 2s ie slow and a bit dead on initial turn in but linear and predicatable when leant over.

What I like most about the Oxley Hwy there is a 26mile section on the winding mountain ridgeline which is made up of continual flip flopping 15 to 30 mph corners broken up with only the odd very short straight and nearly all of it posted with a 62mph speed limit. :biggrin:

First the bad news on the way down Sunday in the dry when compared to my last time through on Dunlop Q2s the Road 3s were much like the Road 2s ie harder work such that the previous time I lead and gapped my Superbike sports tyred mates but this time had to be content with being tail end charlie eventually letting them go settling down to my own slightly reduced pace. Should add this still ended up being immensely enjoyable and really not much slower time wise to the end destination.

Monday morning we were hit by heavy overnight rain which settled to a misty drizzle as we left but this is the good news, leading the way in wet cold (42f ) slippery winding road found the Road 3's truly do shine they are like riding on rails no mid corner stepout brown trouser moments like I'd expirenced with the Q2s in similar conditions.

So the R3s are slower than my previous Q2s in the dry but much much better in the wet, but how do they compare to my earlier Road 2's ?

While my memory is not good enough to say definitely as the R2s were also slow in the dry but great in the wet based on the slightly flatter radius of the R3s I'd conclude they'd be a little slower on turn in but with the R3s snipes and outstanding wet weather feel I'd guess the Road 3s are even better than the Road 2s in wet weather, this seemd to be born out by one guy riding a Gixxer 1000 shod with Road 2s who was cornering noticably slower behind me in the rain commenting at the next gas stop he had suffered the odd nervous squirm but no step outs.