Midwest ride along old US Route 66

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by stellenbrav, Mar 1, 2008.

1. stellenbrav

stellenbrav New Member

A couple of friends and I are talking about a ride to the midwest and ride along the famous Route 66. We thought of trailering to Oklahoma City, where one of the guys has family, and riding west from there. I'd like some input from some of you guys in the area or who have made that trip before. What's worth seeing and what's not? I've done a little research and found alot of the roadside attractions of yesteryear are no longer standing. Is there enough left to justify a couple of weeks on the road?

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    well I have done bits of it in a cage. mostly you'll be on I 40 from what I remember but there are still things worth seeing. I remember seeing the roadkill cafe which I had read about some years before. It's not going to be great motorcycling, though. Just more or less cruising and taking pictures before it all disappears I would think. There may be a lot of cool stuff that I just missed, though.

3. FRE

FRE New Member

United States
    Map
    Late this past summer, I rode my VFR from Memphis to Albuquerque; much of it was along olde Route 66. There were interesting things to see. Actually, I live in Albuquerque about 3 blocks off of olde Route 66. I wish that I had taken more time to see the sights.

On that trip, I rode from Albuquerque to Minneapolis, across WI to Manitowoc, south to Chicago, to Memphis, then back to Albuquerque, for a total of 3600 miles. I posted more details in another thread.

For those who are interested, there are interesting places to ride here in NM. When the weather becomes more reliable, I may ride to places where I haven't before been.

4. Taz

Taz New Member

1st off, ck out www.route-66.com for info.

I've ridden the entire (8 states) route 4 times in the last 20 years, & every time there's less & less to see (last time in 2003).

It's still interesting for the one newbie we always seem to bring along, & neet to pass along some history of places still there & gone.

Can get boring in some areas(lots of super-slabbing), but we alway's take a different return route back to save our sanity.

There has been a surge in many old stops that have been restored by private businesses & historical society's.

Lets just say it's different, but think any auto or M/C enthusiest should do it once in there life time.

Where ever you go, have fun & be safe as well as "ALWAYS" do the exact speed limit through small towns or else :eek:

5. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Did Cali to NYC and back in two weeks. So two weeks for OKC to cali and back is plenty for site seeing.

The 40 is one of those roads were you really don't have to plan that much. Plenty of places to stay, plenty of things to see... Just watch the signs.

Bike to bike communication is way helpful for that kind of traveling. The areas where you need to slab aren't so bad, because the sidetrips and stuff along the way will make up for it all.

6. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Watch the animated Pixar movie "Cars" the night you leave for your trip. That is as close as I've come to it...

Fill your iPod with as many versions of Route 66 as you can find. You can decide when it is appropriate to listen to music.

7. stellenbrav

stellenbrav New Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Not sure yet if we can pull it off (kids , wives and jobs) you know , all those responsiblity things to get in the way. I hope we can make it and see what's there before it disappears.