Might Be Selling My 1986 VF1000R and VFR750F

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by stewartj239, Jul 7, 2012.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    For those of you who know me, you will be surprised to know that I am considering selling both my 1986 VF1000R and VFR750F. My 3 sons and I are avid off road riders and their interests have turned more heavily to MX and I am looking to upgrade our bikes. Rather than just go out and purchase them, I took a hard look at my current stable of bikes and have pretty much decided that I should sell these two to help defray the cost as I don’t use them and I don’t have the space to keep them any longer. It is getting harder and harder for me to justify keeping them.

I figured that I would post it here first to see if anyone is interested. Both bikes are 1986 models, are in excellent condition and are of collector quality. They are completely stock (except for the front turn signals on the 750). The VF1000R has just 3,911 miles on it and the VFR750F has 23,206 miles. See my Photo Gallery for more pictures. Knowing that bikes in this kind of shape are rare (especially the R), I am starting high and if they don’t sell, then I will come down. For the R, I’d like to get $8K and for the 750, I’d like to get $4K. I know some of you are chuckling right now, but look at the condition of them and I think anybody in my position would be doing the same thing. In addition, I have seen the same model bikes sell for this kind of money that were not in as good of shape as mine, so I don’t think I am totally off base.

This does not mean I’m leaving VFR World, because I am not. I’m going to keep the 1986 VF500F as this bike is my favorite of the 1986 line up and I figure I can easily handle the maintenance of just 1 old bike instead of 3. I also have my 2007 VFR800 which after adding the hard cases, Sargent seat and PCV, is now the perfect bike. Quite honestly, after riding the 800, it is hard to even want to ride the older bikes.

So if anyone here has any interest in either bike, then send me a PM. I’ll be out of town for most of next week, so it might take me a little while to get back to you. If there is no interest here, then I’ll probably put them on eBay in a week or two. The prices I have here will be the reserve and I’ll set the “Buy It Now” a little higher. If I go that route, then I expect that they'll be purchased by a collector.

VF1000R.jpg VFR750F.jpg

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    So glad you are on the other end of the country. That 1000r would be more than tempting if closer.

3. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I could meet you half way. How about in Kansas? Seriously though, I am expecting some people to tell me that the asking prices are way too high. I'm not sure if I need a reality check, but these bikes are not your everyday runners that you usually see for sale. They belong behind glass which I think would considerably raise the bar in market value.

4. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I'm having a bike shipped now for $600 from the east coast.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I'll take them both......Is a check from Bank of Nigeria ok ?? Wish I had some extra cash so I could buy the 1000R as it is one of my dream bikes. Maybe we could work something out....Any of your close family members need a kidney or part of a liver?

Rollin

6. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    That is no joke. About 7 years ago, I had a bike listed on eBay and someone invoked the "Buy It Now" option and it ended up being a Nigerian scam. They were going to send me a check for more than the asking price and while I was waiting for that to clear, they were going to set up for somebody to come pick up the bike. I reported it right away to eBay and told the bidder that they can have the bike only after the check clears. Also, you know you're in trouble when the person you're speaking to barely speaks English. This time I am going to set it up so people out of the USA cannot place a bid. It'll be in country only.

I'd consider a lung :cool:

7. orion3814

orion3814 New Member

How bout a testicle. Wife would woop my ass if I got another bike. 6 streets in the cave is about all she allows me to keep lol.

8. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I know what you mean. Between dirt and street, I'm up to 9 bikes right now. My wife and I have been married for 17 years and she has never objected to any of my purchases except for pointing out that we're now running out of space. When we first met, I was already racing / riding MX, had a street bike and a snowmobile. I was fortunate to have all of these addictions grandfathered in to the marriage.

9. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Wow! I understand the need to thin the hurd though. I think your prices are fair considering the condition. Of course the economy is your biggest enemy right now and it's going to take a specific buyer to take them off your hands. Try getting them listed on Throttle Yard (Throttle Yard - Classic motorcycles for sale, from the guys at Bring a Trailer - The very best classic bikes on the market today) or here Motorcycles for Sale Classic These sites have a better audience for your bikes and they would more likely go to a better home.

I would be patient if I was you with selling them. Good Luck!!

10. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I might put them there first to avoid eBay.

Luckily, I can be as patient as I want. I'm not upgrading the dirt bikes until the end of the riding season, which for us is in the October time frame. I just figured that by putting them up now, I can test the waters. With that said, if anyone here is truly interested, I can hang on to the bikes until the fall.

Well, we're heading out the door now for vacation. We're taking the kids to Santa's Workshop (which will be fun for me too). I'll be back online by Friday. I'm taking no laptop or phone!!!

11. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    So both of my eBay listings expired last night and I am pleasantly surprised to say that I did indeed get $4K for the 750. The buyer has already been in contact with me so that is a good sign that the deal will actually happen. You know how eBay is.

I am however shocked that the 1000 only received I bid at $5K. What am I missing? I thought that the R was the bike to have. I thought it was the bike that everybody wanted. Not just that, but the 750 had more viewers AND more watchers. Again, this was totally not what I expected.

So I've lowered my expectations and relisted the R with what I hope is more realistic pricing (maybe my initial "Buy It Now" price is what scared people away)??? Anyhow, I have a price of $7K or best offer. We'll see how it goes, but am surprised that there was less interest in this bike.

12. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    That is interesting! I would have thought at least another $1500 for the VFKR. Congrats on selling the 750 though!

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks. I agree, I expected the R to bid between $6K and $7K. In the condition mine is in, I've seen them go for more than that. I guess it boils down to the fact that it is a small market, so I might have to wait until that type of buyer is there.

I hoped to get $4K for the 750, but I didn't expect to. It is in beautiful shape, but they don't usually bid that high.