Mileage

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Vlad Impaler, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    I have been keeping track of my milage my last few fills and am curious how those on 1994 through 1996 models are doing.

I am getting about 33 - 34 mpg, which seems low to me. Cruising range on a tank is about 150 to 160 miles.

I can't rememember the last time I kept track but I think I used to do better, like low 40s with a little over 200 crusing range on a tank, and upper 40s if I was easy on it.:confused:

Chime in with your experince and what might be up if I'm not dong as well as I should.

Details: Commute to work is about 20 minutes with 1/3 county road and 2/3 highway. Highway speeds are around 80 mph typically (yeah, I know, please don't impersonate wife/mother:eek: ) and back roads around 50 mph. I am not ham fisted, but appreciate a good launch from stops. Shoes changed since I've been keeping track and the impact was negligible from old Metzeler MEZ2 to new Metzeler Z6.

What do you think?:confused:

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    sounds low to me. seems like VMan rides the same gen as you and gets in the high 40 range. I get high 30 range on a 98. But it varies a little if I'm blasting off or crawling about.

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, I won't impersonate your wife/mom and tell ya to slow down. lol, But I will say 80 MPH will use more fuel. Mine get between 45 and 50 mpg. I commute mostly on U.S. 68 which has a nice little twisty section. I also use U.S. 27 to commute from timem to time. If I keep my speed < = 65 mph I can get close to 50 mpg and go about 160 - 170 miles before the fuel light comes on (about 3.4 gallons used). If I run > 65 mph, my mpg drop to mid to low 40's. You might try running some carb cleaner thru it to see if that helps.

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I have a power commander on my '98 and I just eke out 150 miles before the fuel gage bar starts blinking. If I unplug the thing, it goes up to roughly 175 miles. It seems to run much better with the PCII, so for the moment, I'm content to just wack the throttle and go. Zoom...

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    So your mileage is better without the power commander, but your performance is better with it? Am I reading that correctly, or did I get it mixed up? At first I thought you meant if you unplug the fuel gauge your mileage went cause you didn't know the light was blinking. I thought that sounds kinda funny... ;)

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Yup - your reading correct. These bikes are typically lean from the factory to pass the EPA stuff, so I expect that it makes sence that the PC adds more fuel to "correct" this.

- yeah - it does look like Im saying unplug the fuel gage. Oops. Now that would be fun......

7. Spud

Spud New Member

Map
    I have an 06 VFR and I am getting only between 155-175 miles to a tank.. I figured I would get better.. On long rides I get better.. But to commute to work I get junk milage..

8. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I think I am misunderstanding something here. When i say 170 miles per tank, that when I fill up and I never put in more than 4 gallons, so I still have a gallon to go. How much gas are you guys putting in at fill up? My light comes on at about 160 - 170 miles. If I go another 10 miles, I usually end up putting in about 3.4 gallons. So I can probably go a about 200 - 210 on 4.5 gallons. I just want to make sure I am on the same page.

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Im figuring actual mileage, I reset the trip evertime and divide it to 2 places most of the time to check... Just habit I got into a long time ago. I do it in the car also. My car gets 25-27 city and 29-33 hwy depending on speed/hills. 02 Ford Focus. My bike gets 38 on hwy and 35 stop and go. I'll figure it again after this tank (New tires) and see if it changes.

10. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    I've been getting 50mpg consistantly w/ my 2nd gen treating her nice. 43mpg @ constant speeds under 100mph, 35 mpg w/ the occasion foray above 150mph. I was getting 35 mph consistantly @ the beginning of the year before I removed the mouse nest from my air box & before I modified the air box a bit. My commute is all highway through county forests & farm country 60 miles one way.

11. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    I fill to just touch the bottom of the filler neck. I keep the milage per tank on the ODO and take the gallons from the fill-up. I don't know if my light screwed-the-pooch this winter, but I haven't seen it yet this season, and my biggest fill was just short of 5 gallons.
    Two seasons ago she didn't get winterized properly because I was moving from UT to IN, while changing companies, while my wife was in the hospital after having our daughter. I suspect some needle fouling and could probably use the carb cleaner as suggested.
    You guys have any suggestions for through the tank cleaners you've seen make a difference??

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    cool. now I want a PC! ;)

13. AWESOMEVFR750

AWESOMEVFR750 New Member

I have a 92' VFR and consistently get around 44 mpg. The only mod I have is a Vance and Hines slip on exhaust. I mainly just cruise around, no racing.

14. luv2rideh82crash

luv2rideh82crash New Member

Seems pretty low to me. My 97's good for 38-40 mpg when ridden in anger and mid 40's when ridden normally (i.e. shifts at <7-8K)

15. V-FORE

V-FORE New Member

Map
    '94 Mileage

Since getting mine in May over 6000 miles(now up to 27,900.) I am getting about 35mpg normal 58 miles rt to work, while on longer cruises I have gotten 42mpg. Looking at everyone else's mileage this seems average, but I think I am going to tune it up this week and see if that will help a bit. Still better than the 13-18 mpg in my V8 vega.
    Gary

16. VFRMike

VFRMike New Member

United States
    Map
    I was just on a trip up north and had to spend a lot of time on HWY 5 before getting into the fun twisty stuff. HWY 5 is long, straight, very boring 70MPH speed limit highway. Traffic was WELL over 70 (more like 85 - 95+ MPH) and even with the Givi hard luggage I averaged 50.2 MPG. I was very impressed to say the least. Mine is an 02 VFR. I've gotten it into the lower 30's however when really getting on it.

VFRMike.

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Holy crap that's good mileage. I'm starting to think I ride a little harder than I used to think. I get in the low to mid 30s, my tires are feathered to the edges and I have bilateral ground pegs and boots.

18. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    I seem to recall getting around 45 at cruising speed on my '92, before I put on the 2Bros full exhaust, jet kit and K&N. Now I average 35 mpg. Probably could squeak out another few miles per if I kept it down to 60 mph or so - but where's the sense in that.
    And I do believe it was a bit lean out of the factory. Definitely smells richer at the pipe now.

BTW - I'm planning a saddle sore for next month with a buddy of mine; Boston to Quebec to Montreal - down through NY State to the Mass pike and back home again - 1056 miles - only stopping for food and fuel. To make schedule we'll need to keep up around 70 mph - I'll let you know how the mileage goes.

19. RobZ65

RobZ65 New Member

Map
    When I started riding about 3 months ago, I was getting about 51 to 52 mpg, but that was with my 1998 VFR stock exhaust and air filter. I installed the air filter and my Staintune low-mount and it went to about 49 to 51. Now that I'm much more comfortable on my bike and pushing the edge a little harder I'm at about 41 to 45 normal riding (including my 60 mile round trip commute with highway speeds averaging 75 to 80). I think I got 195 miles out of a tank that did have the last bar on the fuel gauge flashing (I put in 4.7 gallons) which averages out to 41.4. But if I'm with my riding buddies (an R1 and a 1000RR) I tend to go down to 35 to 40. :)

Good luck!

20. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    Alright, here's where I am at....
    I bought some gas treatment and FI cleaner on Monday. I filled up this morning and put the FI cleaner in. All 12 oz (about 0.1 gal) and up to the filler neck with 4.648 gal. That's a total of 4.748 gal and the ODO showed 161.1 mi. Yup, still only 33.9 mi/gal before the cleaner. The next tank should show some difference, if there's a carb needle hang-up problem. I'll report out later.

I paid a little more attention to my speeds since my first post. I actually am hitting 85 mph pretty regularly and tickle the tripple digits when the coast is clear. Perhaps my heavy right hand has a lot to do with it, but we'll see.

Gary, Your low end on gas milage is comperable to mine. Your total miles are similar too. Have you ever done a valve adjustment? I haven't, and suspect those closing clearances may be hurting too. Shim under will be new to me as I have only done screw adjustments in previous Kawasaki and Honda parallel twins.