Monster. The time draws near. Out with the old...

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by VFR4Lee, Sep 17, 2017.

1. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    I don't remember where I read a comment that if you are going to have 20+ year old bikes, you need to be ready willing and able to diy, or else to pay pay pay a mechanic. I deem this to be true.

So, looking in my garage I see a 1998 VFR with 82,xxx miles. Well loved by me since Feb 1999 and a little over 2,000 miles when bought. Still a good runner, but far from new. Needs 2 tires but otherwise good for now.

I see a 2003 aprilia Tuono with just over 35,000, also a good runner, and tons of fun. Due for service and a front tire. I see space where the 2007 Tuono sat for 4 years when not being ridden, I added about 4,000 miles only, but sold it 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Last bit of back ground, I have been thinking of a Ducati Monster for 20+ years. I want to work my way back to one bike for less maintenance and cost. I want something reasonably new, maybe 5 years oldish, or less. Want to ride, not wrench.

The Monster 1100 is air cooled about 100 HP. The 2014 and forward 1200 is water cooled and more like 135 HP, smoother running, close to the Tuono HP and TQ figures. And the torque is rocking, for Monster or Tuono. This points me to the 1200. Did I mention the Ducks and Apes all weigh like 100 pounds less than my VFR? The V4 Tuonos are very enticing, but 20 years Monster dreams, ok?!

Anyway, just looking for feedback on the idea. Hopefully I have not stumbled into the room for an argument, or abuse, or being hit on the head lessons. Wah!

Will entertain offers on the VFR which has a Givi rack and matching JC Whitney chinese top box, plus LSL handlebar conversion, plus the usual extra fiddly clips and bits. Also stock rear seat cowl, passenger grips, Frankenstein bolts, stock clip ons, exhaust can, yadda.

Got the T in 2008 and will hold it until I am sure about the Duc, at least.
    Pic to prove existence.
    100_2047.JPG

TLDR, maintained 82k miles 5th gen 1998 VFR for sale.
    Say, $2k minus tire allowance. Cheap.
    If you know a deal on a nice Monster 1200, I am all ears.

2. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Ramp on left also for sale.

3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Ape serviced and rocking. VFR sold.
    Hello, Monster 1200? Come out come out wherever you are. :)

4. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Sorry to see you go Lee - good luck in your search for a Monster. Damn, a lot of good members getting rid of their VFRs lately :(

5. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    18 years and 9 months is a long time to have a bike.
    I might have another 18 years of riding in me with luck, but the math says I'll be way fuckin' old.
    Time to move on and try something new.
    Fire up some new excitement.
    Have you seen this article by Nick I?

https://ridelikeachampion.com/ienatsch-tuesday-dont-quitter-read/

:)