More changes to MotoGP in '09

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by NorcalBoy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Radical changes to the weekend schedule of MotoGP races and post race testing in 2009.

FIM And Dorna Announce Immediate Cost-Cutting Measures For MotoGP World Championship News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

The number of qualifying sessions has been reduced by one entire session on Friday. Not really a good thing for race attendees, but in todays lean times, I would rather lose a practice session than see the whole thing taken down by the situation gripping the current world economy.....

It would also seem that they are trying to remove some of the electronically controlled aids currently in use....wasn't that what everybody has been wanting to see? Is the demise of traction control soon to follow?

2. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

Yes, I do believe traction control will be banned. When? I'm not sure.

They'll ban TC, just like then did in Formula 1. TC makes the bikes easier to ride and virtually eliminates the driver's finesse. Basically, the rider is just a passenger twisting the throttle. I'd like to see TC banned. It might help the racing return to the racing we saw in the 80's.....more competitive and exciting.

But what the hell do I know. :ninja:

3. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
  4. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    That would totally suck. Stoner is looking so good so far this testing series.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

6. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

That would really be a blow to the MotoGP season. It sure doesn't sound that good. Very difficult to ride with severe pain in your braking hand, while braking.

He either had a quack doctor or they just did the minimal surgery to try to repair the damage. If I'm Ducati, I'd be pissed that the operation wasn't done properly. And then who do they get to replace Stoner for 09?

7. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Just read the article on MotoGP thread about the changes. It removes the elec susp control and launch control systems(not sure what that does-must be NASA technology).
    No mention of traction control. It does raise the question, "what's next?"

8. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    No way he's out for the season.

I hope TC goes away. If you want to be a passenger, get in the car and enjoy the ride.

9. Sandalwood

Sandalwood New Member

United States
    Map
    I hope Stoner gets it sorted out. I was looking forward to the Casey/Valentino show this year.

10. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

Totally agree with 241. TC mitigates the drivers talent and basically makes the riders a passenger. Get rid of TC and let's see who REALLY has the talent to manage the throttle correctly.

And I hope you're right that Stoner gets in solved and races this year.

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

None of the electronics restrictions that have been placed in play for '09 really have any effect on the current situation, these are being implemented as a runup to further restrictions down the road.

Currently none of the factories are even using electronically adjustable suspension, they have tested with it, but nobody is actually using it. As for the ceramic brake ban, nobody is currently using these systems either, this is a runup to when they outlaw carbon brakes in the near future. By banning ceramic brakes now, the thought is that the manufacturers will have to go back to carbon steel brakes, when the carbon brakes no longer fit the rule. I'm sure that won't happen.

As for launch control.....this is also a runup to the banning of TC...the only thing is, TC is virtually impossible to police, even with the use of sealed ECU's it is virtually impossible. Did you see any F1 car spin it's wheels at the start of any GP last year?.....neither did I. Electronics are here to stay, period.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  12. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Sandalwood, you may very well have the best avatar ever!

13. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Now it looks like Giberau will miss Qatar testing due to shoulder issues. Moto GP is getting the beat down this year.