MPG tune Power commander

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by TA-Rocks, Sep 10, 2013.

1. TA-Rocks

TA-Rocks New Member

United States
    Map
    I would like to see if anyone is familiar with tuning a PCIII for gas mileage. I may want to try it out for a short time. I am sure that I wont be keeping it tuned this way but, would like to try it for a trip. Perhaps I would want to do that for a longer trip.

2. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    I didn't tune mine for better than stock fuel milage but to keep appoximitly the same fuel milage. Between 4500-6500 rpms and 0 to 50% throttle (cruising zone) I zeroed out the values and I have the O2 sensors still hooked up so i still get commuting fuel milage, smoother lower rpms, and high rpm power.

3. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Well if you have a custom map then you have an idea of the A/F ratio which DJ tune to 13.2/1 value by default.
    I have been thinking about this & I considering switching to a PC5 so that I can have a power map & a mileage map !

If you have access to a laptop & the PC software, you can lean out the mixture, by decrementing values in the lower throttle ranges from whatever they are now. I left my O2 sensors hooked up with my custom map & with quite a bit of spirited riding get 35mpg (UK gallons = 4.5L). Since I modified the cooling system the bike runs cooler, so I want to make it a bit leaner for more mpg & it should then run at normal temps to & leaner produces more power too :)

PC 5 with Auto tune seems like a great idea, as it adjusts for real world use A/F ratios !