My FMF Apex pipes sound like this....

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Timmay, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Timmay

Timmay New Member

Map
    It's never easy to hear the pipes you are considering so here's what the FMF sound like. This vid was shot last week on our trip to The Dragon. This video was shot with GoPro Hero 3+ set to 720p/60fps. Audio was using a $35 mono "broadcast mic" from Radio Shack with the wire run from the camera mounted low on the front left fairing all the way back to the license plate light housing to keep wind noise to a minimum. I'm quite pleased with the results on the audio. If you have good speakers or ear buds the sound is pretty darn accurate.

This was my first trip to the Dragon and my second day running it so this video is not intended to be a testament to my prowess. I can say that this was the first time I have used a higher sport tire, Michelin power 3's and they were a lot of fun after running Road 3's for the last two sets (12k miles a set!!). The edges of the Power 3's are on the wear bars after 3 days in NC. That's just what happens when a 200lb guy pushes a fat sport bike on amazing roads I guess. I never got them so hot that they gum balled but there was some heat texturing happening.

http://youtu.be/DRBEmS2Li2U

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Sounds good, the external mic definitely makes a difference... I mounted my knockoff gopro behind my windscreen on a trip I did last summer around lake superior, and the wind noise was horrid.

3. CRSVFR2007

CRSVFR2007 New Member

How are they after a day or two getting used to them? I have been looking for an exhaust upgrade for the longest time and just have not been happy with the limited offerings. Since it is mostly for sound (not much else you can do, save for a bit of fuel mapping), hard to justify $600 or so just for the sound - but I am getting closer to convincing myself otherwise! So, how do you like them now? Best,

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Timmy, thanks that was a shot in the arm for me.
    Sounds great when ya hit a certain rpm the pipes just howl...looked like perfect weather to.
    Haven't been on my bike for a month and won't till Feb or March so this will be my daily fix...thanks again fer sharing

5. Timmay

Timmay New Member

Map
    CRS - I have been 100% satisfied with these cans. The added benefit to doing the swap is a significant weight savings. I don't recall the exact savings but it's more than 10 lbs which is noticeable particularly when making a quick direction change. I gone a bit over 30,000 miles with them on and they still look new and are as solid as day 1. Like any other piped VFR, I get compliments all the time. I had always wanted a VFR with Staintunes but my cost was twice as much, $1200 and a several months long wait.

Duc- I put more vids up my YouTube. More of the same. In the years I was pining for a veefer I had a clip that I would go to regularly. I take it as a large compliment that I have "passed the torch" Thank you sir!