My Mt10/Mt09/Hornet/Speed Triple 4th Gen Vfr!!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by LayinLow, Jun 10, 2019.

1. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Hellooo! I just wanted to share my project with the VFRworld community now that it's pretty much "done" (in quotes for obvious reasons):). Over the course of 9 years or so I've been slowly making my 4th Gen more "modern" ...more cafe.....and more naked. I'm pretty much finished now and she's pretty cool. Definitely never seen another one in Atlanta anything like it, so I'm a little proud:batman:. The amount of hours I spent would have amounted to thousands and thousands in shop labor, so It was worth every penny even though I might not get my money back if I ever sell it. Nobody has any clue what I'm riding most of the time, and when I ask, they usually guess its a 2014 or newer which is hilarious and makes me happy. I stopped checking at a certain point, but the bike lost 30+ lbs of weight in the process as well, and it's definitely noticeable.....any questions about anything are welcome.....I've done most of the mods that can be done to a 4th gen, so I know a little sumthin about all of them if you've got questions. Enjoy! IMG_2904.JPG IMG_0791.JPG IMG_0169.JPG IMG_2487.JPG IMG_6165.JPG IMG_3619.JPG IMG_9824.JPG

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Samuel likes this.
  2. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    That's a clean bike! Other than the plastics and instruments, what did you do to loose the weight?

3. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Thanks man .

So the weight was from all the plastics, lights, and all the metal brackets all over the bike used to hold the plastics on....the big mirrors with rubber boots....the full stainless exhaust I now have rather than the crazy heavy stock one....the whole PAIR system....the front brake hose and bracket assembly.....regular battery swapped to a LiOn one (9lbs just there!)...various bolts etc I didn't need. I added some weight back on using a Corbin saddle and the handlebars but I imagine since I stopped keeping track of the weight loss after awhile, it's still around 30ish lbs.

4. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Black Widow exhaust?

5. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Black Widow exhaust and Delkevic muffler, yep! The black widow front and mid pipes alone measured about 2.8 lbs lighter than stock. Then that donkey shlong factory muffler, I believe I read that most aftermarket pipes are like 8-9lbs less than that thing (something around there)

6. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    Very interesting project! Most people seem to think my 1990 viffer is under 10 years old... Honda build quslity and designers were great back in the 80's.

I'm in the process of a teardown myself. And tempted to drop the fairings and some weight.. they do help on long cold trips, so I'm not entirely sure..

Anyhow, your bike looks great!

Riding on the storm

7. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    I would say make sure you're 100% on wanting to do the project first. It was probably 100's of hours total. If your fairings and electronics are all in great shape or close, I'd say just keep it stock as far as plastics. I've just always liked naked bikes since they started coming back into style years ago. That 2010 Anniversary Edition Speed Triple is just sooooo damn sexy . I got rear ended at very slow speed by an off duty cop..lol. So I had insurance money to fix the bike and I chose to fund the naked project instead of trying to return it to stock. For long trips, no question the fairings are great. The handlebar conversion and Corbin saddle though...changes the whole riding ergonomics.