my new 1994 vfr750.... need some help

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Jim DeFina, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Jim DeFina

Jim DeFina New Member

United States
    just brought home my 1st VFR. A bike I've loved since High school. Anyway, gentleman I bought it from took pretty good care of it. But 8 years ago his son was born and it sat in his garage. I got what I think is a nvery fair price. 18k miles, clean for $2,000. so I get it home in my garage. remove all the plastics and pulled a plug that looked slightly dark and oily but not in terrible shape. I decided I would put in a fresh battery and see if I get any spark. So in the battery went. I had one plug pulled out but connected to its wire and resting on the cylinder head so that I can see if there's any spark. Turned the key on accessory, lights came on and a (fuel?) pump began whirring. I was so excited !! I reached for the start button gave it s push and ..... click, lights out, pump off bike went totally asleep :( . I checked all the fuses and nothings blown. Before I begin the digging and testing of components I thought id check in here and see if anybody ahd any initial words of advice.
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Sincerely New VFR owner,
    Jim D
    San Francisco,. CA

squirrelman likes this.
  2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Something like that and I'd be going over all the connections anyway, including grounds. It's likely something simple.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Kinda sounds like a loose battery terminal. You do know about the main fuse, right? Also, I had a Bikemaster GEL battery shit itself just like that at a gas station. No warning, no slow cranking. Hit the start button and everything was dead. Took me a while to convince myself it was the battery. Luckily there was an auto parts store a block away that had a battery.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    check engine ground wire, clen nd snd end frme.

(sorri bd kebord