My new, new VFR is so cool now!!

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by James Bond, May 27, 2016.

1. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Holy sheet!! My eight gen. standard is transformed!!

Put a new shoe on its' rear (BT023) and scrubbed it in good this afternoon. OMG, I forgot what a real tire felt like! For not even being Bstone's latest and greatest ST tire (but sure was cheap at BikeBandit), it sure does turn in great compared to the shit for a tire OEM rear that will hardly turn in at all. After I got it scrubbed in good, I had a blast in the twisties all afternoon. It actually leans over with ease now. That's what happens when you sell all of your bikes then get another new one after 5 years AWOL. Fun, fun. The OEM front seems to be OK with almost no chicken strip on the sides now after today. The edges of the new rear got a work-over today and stick like glue. BBQ all day tomorrow then back to the turns Sunday. Yeah.:peaceful:

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Just wait till put a new one on the front!

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Running the Battlax T30 EVO ... love them.

4. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I'm with ya, Drift. I bought my 01 a few weeks ago with a very squared off Conti something or other. The odd thing was, the bike has a newish Pilot Power 3 on front. The bike had 4100 miles on it, and way too many nicks on the back wheel for just one tire change. I'll bet the PO took off the matching rear, and put that pos on it just before I took possession.

I put a Pilot Power 3 rear on, and dialed in all the preload on the rear shock. Huge difference! I'd swear that Interceptor is 100 pounds lighter now. Nothing better than new tires.

5. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    What is OEM tyres for you guys, not sure if we have the same?

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    My OEM was a Dunflop D222. Worst handling tire I ever rolled on.

7. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map

No doubt you're right but the OEM front is handling pretty well and has plenty of tread left....for now.

8. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    New tires normally make a noticable difference. And maybe I just had a really horrible old tire. But when I put the new Michelin on, the difference was/is huge!

On a side note..... I've changed aprox 55 tires here at home. (I try to keep track in my head. I e changed a lot of buddies' tires too, but most of those 55, were mine) the new Michelin was in the jeep all day and it was 85 that day, so the tire was fresh and plyable. That Michelin was the easiest tire I've ever spooned on. 3 or 4 "bites" and that was it.

When in doubt Change Tires!

9. Tbone322

Tbone322 New Member

Canada
    I have about 2400 kms on my 2014 so far. Planning on heading out to Sturgis SD at the end of bike week and stay there the following week to ride and sightsee. I will probably be looking at putting new tires on before I go in August.

Sounds like the Michelin Pilot Power 3 are the likely choice I'll be making. I know tires discussions are like motor oil discussions, everyone has an opinion. I know a lot of people who swear by Metzelers.

Anyone running Metzelers? And if so which ones and give me some feedback on how you like them.

10. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I have brand new Metzelers on the 83, since they seem to be the only ones with a decent 16" front. I really like them, had them back in 84 too. On the 8th gen I have the PR4's which every body recommends. They are great.

11. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Had the T23s on both my 07s and popped a T30 on my 14. Not enough moisture down these parts for me to go EVO but I'll go that rout if I can't find T23s or standard 30s around