My Shinko Verge 2X Tire Revies

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by KizerSosay, Aug 30, 2016.

1. KizerSosay

KizerSosay New Member

United States
    I put a set of Shinko 016 Verge 2X tires on my '99 about 1 1/2 years ago. They where fine at first but quickly started to wear badly contrary to positive reviews from where I purchased them. After about 2k miles they really started to feel squirrely. Low speed turning is horrible if not dangerous. The front looks like it has very little wear compared to the rear. But, when you do a low speed turn it really pulls the wheel in the directions of your turn. Cracks, waves, painted lines on the road....you can really feel them acting on the tires. Very difficult to lean over the flat spot in the tread. Sometimes even feels like I'm riding on a flat tire.

Bottom line, JUNK, JUNK, JUNK in my opinion. Worst set if tires I've owned. Worse handling even than my 80/20 knobby tires I ran on my dual sport bike.

I cannot recommend Shinko Verge. If fact I won't even let experienced friend riders ride my bike out of fear of these junk rubbers.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You win some, you lose some. Sometimes spending less means getting less but you never know unless you try them. Thanks for the update though, always good to hear reports on one's experience. When I bought by 5 Gen it had Shinkos on it and I ditched them right quick, not so much because I thought they were crap but they were way out of date! Never got a chance to test them out.

3. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Hate to hear that trying to revive my '84 vf700f on a tight budget (to keep the wife happy) I got a Shinko Branded front rubber Sr 712 IIRC. And just like above the place I bought it from (Revzilla) gave it a very good review, as long as it was used on a bike at or under its 680 pound rated weight ( thought it was a per tire rating) .

Now I am worried that the new Kenda (which have worked well for me in other applications) on the rear may outshine the Shinko to the point of dangerous under-steer.
    Both have similar asymmetric water shedding tread design,
    I just feel like mixing brands, even with a similar style, may not have been the best idea based on my limited street experience.

It was probably a better idea than leaving the 10 year old nearly smooth Michelin on the front. Initially I wasn't going to replace the rear until I noticed it was a 90 series not the factory 80 series.
    I suppose, as long as I am not carving up the road and pushing the limits, I may never know the difference.

4. KizerSosay

KizerSosay New Member

United States
    they looked really really nice on the bike. But, I ride 50/50 highway/back roads and they just don't hold up. I might go to a touring tire next. I just need a all round reliable tire for my riding style.

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I could have told you they were junk. Shinko is a budget brand IMHO. :(

6. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    I've never ran Shinko because of warnings from other riders. Are they really any cheaper than B Stones or Michelin in terms of life cycle cost?

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Surprised! Not!

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    What's that saying, ya get what ya pay for----tires are not what anyone should go cheap on even on a budget. There what keeps you alive right?
    Cheapko--- JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    My point exactly.

10. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I doubt it. When you do a 'cost to own' analysis, sometimes the most expensive products are actually the most affordable. Aerostich is a good example of this - how many guys do you know with 20 year old Olympic gear? (hint, the answer is none).

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    What air pressure do you run, OP? And how often do you check it?

12. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    This.

I'm already 11,000 miles on my current set of Bridgestones and I still have quite a bit of tread left, and as you know I travel heavy and long distance.

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Next time try the Metzlers, I have been using them since '84, one of the few good 16" fronts.
    [​IMG]

14. KizerSosay

KizerSosay New Member

United States
    Off the top of my head I can't remember. I keep it at the recommended pressure on the tire and I check it often. Another thing that is WHACK is I reached the edge on the front way before the rear. My rear has about 1 inch chicken strip while the front has pretty much none. Not good when you are cornering. I never noticed lack of a strip on the front. I always just figured I was a puss with wide rear strips. Good thing I didn't try to lean any further.