need advice,what would you do in this situation? please reply

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by hollenbeck, May 25, 2013.

1. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

ok so about 3 weeks ago I was putting in a new alarm on my 5th gen and I was using a hotwire to find a positive wire,well when I touched a wire it sparked and shut my bike down and blew the main 30amp fuse,I replaced the fuse and nothing still came on when I turned the key,so I found a highly recommended mechanic from a couple of people that said he was the best,now where I live shops will not touch electrical work or alarms,so he pick my bike up on sunday and said it would be done tue or wed,didn't hear a word from him so I called and asked about it thurs and he said he wasn't able to get too it and will do it sat when it's more quiet and there's less traffic so I was cool with that,didn't hear a word from him again so I text him sunday and he said some people came in from out of town and he'll start on it tues when they leave waitied again till Thursday and text and told him I was bringing new exhaust out there and power commander for new boot but really was just checking on my bike,so went out there bike still there and there were 5 other bikes 3 were getting picked up,so I aske when it would be done and he said this weekend,so I wait till mon and text him and ask if the bike we'll be done this week,he calls me right after and said he was busy ect ect and that it'll definetly be done by end of wed from what I hear,so I waited again till this Thursday and text him and asked what was up,no reply so I call a couple hrs later and asked if he was done and he said no haven't started so I got ill and said you told me by the end of wed and he was like no I said by the end of the week,so today is sat and no text or call yet,I'm getting pissed off cause if I say I'm gonna do something I do it,but he is the only mechanic that I have found in my area that'll do electrical work,I wanna call and tell him the fu** off cause my bike is my only ride but I still wanna be able to use him if needed,I will only do appointment next time,but I know he started working on it but @ the same time I don't want him to just not do it and that'll be 3 weeks wasted.ADVICE PLEASE

2. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    Your bike is the only transportation you have? Or it is your only bike? In any case.. Tell him that you need the bike because it is your only mode of transportation if that is the case. Not much else you can do,, other than next time when you drop the bike off you write down all that was agreed upon , Like your writing a note about when the bike will be ready. Not that it being in your writing will hold any water but, it is something.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    WTF are you waiting for? Come and get the bike........f........the alarm get an H&K or Glock
    You have give him enough time and he gave you way too many excuse.....:chaingun:

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Get the bike outta there! He has no time management, it will sit for another 3 weeks or more.

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    If you have no other options of mechanics to look at it then I suggest keeping your mouth shut and not pissing him off.

6. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

that's what I'm trying not to do,but @ the same time if your a mechanic and that's your job then you need to @ least call or text me and let me know the situation or the status,no communication is really unprofessional,I wouldn't be bugging him if he would let me know something. I just ordered the galfer braided brake and clutch line kit and was gonna have him do it but not now.He would've made a lot of $ off of me but I'm not dealing with someone who won't let me know whats going on

7. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

That's how I feel but I @ least need the bike running,he's the only person that has touched that bike besides me,but come mon I'm getting my bike

8. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

I text him today and asked the situation on the bike and told him I have to return rental car Monday(wich was a lie) and got no reply,and my bike is my only transportation,but if it's not done by Monday I'm getting my bike and he charged me $40 to come pick it up and if he asks for that $ I'm gonna tell him to go fuck himself

9. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

this is off subject but I found a rear undertray that as a secret compartment,it basically opens up and has a key and a lock on it.Has anyone ever seen one of these before?

10. ricky

ricky New Member

United States
    Map
    Matter of fact a 1994 VFR I just picked up today has one of those and was going to look up about the storage. I will take a closer look at the storage comp tomorrow afternoon and post up.

11. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    OK what is plan B?

You get really pissed off by the lack of action and decide to burn your bridges & retrieve the bike rather than wait until hell freezes over...

But what now - you still have a bike with a fault? How are you going to sort it out if this electrical expert is the only one nearby?

You need to think this through..

I must say personally the idea of :chaingun: is tempting (but I can find my way round a circuit diagram), meanwhile you are back to square one.

Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

12. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

I understand your position, you feel you may need a mechanic later on, and you don't want to stuff up what could have been a good relationship to have.
    But at the end of the day, he's done no mechanical work on your bike, and he's stuffed you around big time.
    That trust/ relationship will never be there now, I'm not sure where you are located (middle of nowhere and can't find a mechanic) but it would of been better to hook the trailer on and take the bike to someone who values your custom and fixes your problem.

He's had plenty of chances, no more excuses GO GET YOUR BIKE.

Look at this way:-
    If he finally fixes it after 3 weeks, and 2 weeks later there is similar problem or a new problem would you take it back??? I don't think so.
    If someone asked you, if you new a good mechanic, would you recommend him?? even mention his name??? I don't think so.

GO GET YOUR BIKE

tumbleweed

13. Valentino Robbie

Valentino Robbie New Member

Better to have a bike with a fault in your house, which you can spend your own time finding someone to fix it.
    Or
    The bike stays with someone you clearly don't trust? Who isn't even working on it.

Any Honda dealers near you?

14. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Holy great wall of text batman!

15. Durk

Durk New Member

I don't want to sound like a dick, but you've learned a lesson as far as messing with your only ride. Be it car or moto, you need to make damn sure about things when you tear into it.
    I would go get your bike too. You've allowed this guy to mess with you for too long. There is a thread buried here about some guy getting jerked around for like 2 years with having his engine rebuilt. It's not worth it.
    Get your bike back, get the service manual and a good multimeter and go through the whole bike to make sure your connections are in spec. There are plenty of people on here that can help out if you have questions.

16. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

I'm going to get it Monday and there is a Honda dealer near me the only shop actually but I talked to the service manager and they don't do electrical work wtf is that?

17. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

I found one on Ebay last night and bought it,it looks like it has a good amount of space and a lock on it, that's good for me now I don't have to ride with a backpack all the time

18. hollenbeck

hollenbeck New Member

If he doesn't fix it by the time I go pick it up wich is Monday, I'll send pics of what wires I messed with, but when I posted about the problem and what happened no one responded, I guess I need more friends on here lol

19. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Stop messing or adding stuff to the bike :potstir:
    Kidding a side where are you located at? If you know which wire is mess up can you test and replace the wire?
    Not that we don't want to help you it is hard to give you a constructive answer with electrical problems.

20. KizerSosay

KizerSosay New Member

United States
    DITTO!
    You have 2 problems.
    #1 If you sent this gut texts like in your OP he probably can't understand a thing you are saying (it gave me a headache). Just sayin'.
    #2 Go down there in person and get your bike. He's giving you the run around. Don't give him a dime and if you don't get your $40 back tell him he's gonna need a ass transplant just to take a dump when your done kicking the shift out off it.

I had the same problem with a guy working on my old Volvo. He was the only import shop in town. It took him 2 weeks to put front struts on because he did not have a simple deep socket to do the work. I got the fed up and told him I'm picking up the next day and all of the sudden he finished it. When I drove it off the lot I could tell something was wrong. He did not have either strut tightened at the top mount. I went down the street to Monroe shock and muffler and had them tighten it up in 30 seconds, in the parking lot. Went back to the import dude and handed him the $15 bill. He reached in the register and gave me $15. All the while pretending he was on the phone. Just be assertive.

Sorry to get a little off topic...having a few beers and pissed myself off.

Last edited: May 26, 2013