need help finding helmet

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by ryeguy02, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ryeguy02

ryeguy02 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey guys, I'm shopping around for a helmet for my wife. The main attribute she is looking for is wind noise. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read some reviews but its always harder when you're shopping for someone else. I'd prefer something for under $350.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I'm pretty happy with my Shoei RF1000 (I paid $330 for my graphic model, but it retailed for 375 I believe). In regards to wind noise, she (and you) should try wearing ear plugs. Trust me, it will help lessen fatigue from the non-stop droning.

3. Yonan

Yonan New Member

I second the RF1000 and ear plugs. Took me a while to warm up to ear plugs but once you do its hard to ride without them. Just had a set of custom ones made at the Internation bike show.

4. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
  5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    And a third vote for the ear plugs. Hearing loss is usually permanent. I think what you will find is that the more ventalated the helmet is, the more wind noise you will get. So to get the comfort level you may want, you will have to persevere the earl plugs. Speaking from experience. I hated ear plugs as much as I hate eye glasses. But I forced myself to wear the ear plugs while highway riding which is what I do all the time. It really did not take me all that long to get used to the plugs. There are a wide variety of foam ear plugs out there that cost literally penies and are very good at noise reduction.

As far as helmets go, I have a Shark RSR. It is very light but also quite expensive. But I commute 30,000 km year round here so the cost is well worth the comfort. My first helmet was a KBC. it was fine but on the heaveir side. But if all you are doing are recreational rides, then it may be a good choice for you. Unfortunately I have no others to compare with. Shoei does seem to be popular here. If it is popular, there must be a reason.

BTW That Cabot Trail must be a real nice ride!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. Spike

Spike New Member

ear plugs and Schuberth for me
    but, the most important thing will be fit, the better it fits her, the less noice she will notice
    not just the size, but also importantly the shape will make a very big difference
    some heads/helmets are more sphere shaped, while some are more oval front to back, the closer you are to her shape, the less noice and discomfort she or any of us will suffer, so it is really something best handled, at least the first time in a store, the largest one around that you can find, so that she can try on multiple brands, and even within a brand, multiple models
    some brands stick to one shape, some try to cover the range, Arai for instance has 3 distinct shapes they offer
    So ideally don't get wedded to the Acme X helmet in the Joe Smith paint scheme without trying on that particular model
    Shape will determine fit
    also know that a couple of companies offer check pads in a couple sizes, Arai again offers like 6 or something, so you can really get taht fit around the ear right, less space means less air moving around, means less noise to the user

7. VFRstar

VFRstar New Member

Map
    If wind noise is a concern, I would stay away from modulars. While they are conveniant, they are also more noisy than a normal full face.

I love my modular and put up with the extra noise. Although my new HJC is a lot quiter than my old one, and it has a flip down internal visor too. :) And it's pearl white to match my bike.

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    The best deals on Shoei's are at Comp A. Competition Accessories. $ 299 for RF-1000 with some graphix. The only negative about that helmet is that it seems to fog up more than average in cold weather. I have one an it the best lid I have had.

MD

9. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm with Spike on this. The better the fit, the less wind noise. Also agree on ear plugs, I wear them almost all the time. If they fit her head, the SHARK RSI series are around $300 and a very nice helmet. I think they are a relaxed oval fit. I've got a long oval shaped melon and the shark RSR (one model up) fits like it was custom made. Have her try on as many as she can get her hands on. Hopefully she'll have that "That's the one!" experience.

Action

10. ryeguy02

ryeguy02 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Great points! At least now I have some ideas on where to go. Trying on helmets where I live is difficult this time of year seeing as where people are more apt to be snowmobiling right now. :rolleyes:
    I've been riding for 6 years now and I haven't worn ear plugs as of yet. Do the majority of you just use the foam ones that you roll in your fingers and then put on your ears?

11. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

I tried a few and now have the rf- 1000, shoei, really quiet , fits way better than the others, and is noticeably lighter. They have come down in price and also there are some really good deals on fleabay and kijiji, lots of people get bored of riding after a short foray into the two wheeled world or downright scared and then they bail and are left with all kinds of gear that's barely used. I'd stay away from gmax and hjc if you don't want noise, good price but heavy and loud. Just my $.02.

12. Yonan

Yonan New Member

The foam ones work just fine......started with those. Just recently got the customs ones because they stay in until you pull them out. I kept loosing foam ones when taking off my helmet.

13. Raro

Raro New Member

Map
    My advice is to take her to a store that has a good selection of helmets and start trying them on. That's what I did. I didn't look at the price or colour, just kept trying until I found the best fit. Everybody's head is a different shape so trying them on is the best way to go IMOP. I settled on a Arai Signet (now I think its called the Profile). My wife hated the full face helmet.

I also use the disposable ear plugs. After meeting a fellow rider at a gas station, who yelled at me because he was almost deaf from years of riding without plugs, I decided to wear them. Now I use them all the time.

Good Luck!

14. realnew

realnew New Member

Find a helment that fits right and then buy Good ear plugs, I wish someone would have told me that years ago! now i have a ringing in my ears that just won't go away, it wake me up at night!

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I have found the best foam plugs are - Hearos Ultimate Softness series. I have been riding so long with ear plugs that I cant ride without them.
    ---Less wind noise = more focus on the road --

MD

16. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I do. They work well and are cheap as dirt. I keep a bunch in my tank bag so if I lose some, it doesn't matter.

But I put them "in" my ears, not "on" them; they seem to be more effective this way, rather than trying to use them as ear muffs. (J/K)

17. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Wait until you start hearing the little voices in your head. It will make you wish the ringing would come back.

18. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Arai Fits my head best but when shopping for the wife the Shoei RF1000.
    I was first concerned with fit, Second with performance, third with price. Also EAR PLUGS. you need em they make a big difference. look for silicone in the 26 to 30 range. You can get them at a hardware store for $5, for swimmers at about $3 and at a motorcycle store for $30.
    Foam and disposables are good I have just found the silicone to work best and be most comfortable on long rides.

The reason you don't wan't too good of an ear plug should be obvious. You can't hear traffic and emergency vehicles etc.

Good luck. Hope all works out.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wind noise is an issue? LOL WT... Yep RF1000, be hard to go wrong...

20. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    what's wrong with little voices?:unsure: