Need More Insight

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by dbuzz77, Jul 15, 2017.

1. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    hi guys I was reading articles on here and I was wondering a couple of things after reading the manual i downloaded. First, people are using different sprays, etc. for their chains and the manual says 90 weight gear oil. Pardon me it's my first chain in 40 years or so but what is best? Second, people are putting regular gas in and the manual says 91 octane. A high compression engine like this in my mind should have higher octane. Please give me your insight. thanks

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    On chain lube - is like an oil thread, you will get 50 different answers.. but no 90 wt oil on mine. I use the ProHonda MolyTeflon chain lube for at least a decade on my rides, but first clean the thing with kerosene.... More answers to come by the peanut gallery....

3. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I wonder what the newer manuals say

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
  5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    My manual does not say 91 octane for the 6th gen. 87 I think, Use what the manual says for fuel. Higher octane does not necessarily mean better performance.

6. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    this manual i got says copyright 2002

I havent learned how to paste on here yet.

7. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I just wanted to know why people aren't using gear oil for their chains like the manual says. Maybe gear oil is better?

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Gear oil sounds like a vile smelling mess to deal with and I am guessing it will sling all aboot the bike and your pants and boots. I used to keep a can of Kal-Guard chain lube for people that wanted to "borrow" some, an awesome product as a lubricant but it would fly off like silly string and stick like J-B Weld.

9. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    possibly. i left my chain lube in the states so i have been improvising here and put some gear lube on and wiped it in and excess off and it was pretty good , except of course for the gear lube smell

10. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    87 is all you need for these bikes. I used to own a 3rd gen and I let my friend borrow it for the day, he ended up filling it with 93 (bastard! lol) and when I went to ride it the next day it was acting funny... I switched it back to 87 and everything was good lol.

As for my 6th gen I've just been running the 87 without any issues... it's what Honda recommends.

34468 Randy likes this.
  11. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I asked this question for this very thing, the manual that I downloaded says 93 octane and a motor with 11+ compression should have premium gas. another person said their manual didn't say 93 so i am trying to figure it out.

12. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Just a word of international caution, as I understand it there are different scales used for octane number, so one mans 87 may well be another's 95.

There's Research Octane Number (RON), Motor Octane Number (MON) and Anti Knock Index (AKI) which is an average of the other two. MON is generally 8-12 points lower than RON, AKI is 4-6 lower than RON. Personally I always run 91 in my bikes, my turbo Skoda likes 95 as a minimum.

34468 Randy likes this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard New Member

United States
    Map
    In Canada the regular fuel is 87 octane which is 91 RON. So depending on what market the bike is being sold into, you can expect to see different octane values recommended. Regular is fine in the VFR. I sometimes put through a tank or two of 95 RON as it has some cleaning additives that help keep the injectors clean and is often ethanol free here.

14. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Just what we need. A lot of scientific stuff to confuse the mind. Not directed at you Terry by no means. I had heard somewhere there may be a difference in octane rates in different locals and I suppose this is what was being said.

The oil industry places the octane reading at the pumps for a reason. For the public to see what their intended octane reading on a particular grade of fuel is. Just accept what you see at the pumps. Now about this manual that Buzz is looking at, that one has me stumped. Where did you download that manual from? Is it a Honda VFR manual or something other? Just curious as to what this manual actually is. If you want, I have the VFR manual on disc as has many here. It is downloadable from another site. It is for a 6th gen so if you want it, let me know and I will get to this soon as I can. Don't tell anyone though. Kinda a good case of copyright infringement.

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm using Tirox chain cleaner ... I was using Tirox Chain Lube but switched to the Tirox Chain Wax ... I'm liking the switch. No mess or fling up and still does a great job keeping the chain in good shape.

As for fuel ... our engines are high compression.

I run the lower octane in the early season (generates more heat) and high octane in the hot summer months (generates less heat). Yes. I do see a difference on the temperature gauge, and I do get slightly better mileage with the premium fuel.

Keep in mind, octane rating represents the resistance to combustion. In higher temps, I feel that it's better to run the higher octane since engine temps are hotter than the earlier months. This means less pre-ignition / early combustion.

That said, if you're not getting any pinging and knocking, there's nothing wrong with regular fuel.

I do steer completely clear of ethanol when I can ...

17. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    what i do is mix the higher and lower octane, i never fillup bone dry so the mix is probably 70-30 or so. i read an article in popular mechanics a long time ago that said if you do the octane math (they did) if you mix 91 and 87 fuel 50-50 it ends up all 91 not halfway in between. the manual i got says vfr and vfr-abs and is copyright 2002. i can't remember where i got it.

18. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    thanks for getting me reading guys. canada at the pump the octane is aki which is (ron+mon)/2 so i read the manual closer and it shows UK, european direct sales, australia markets so the manual is for that market. they show ron at the pump which 91 ron is 87 in canada like it was stated. that solves that mystery. other than that , the manual should be the same?

19. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Pretty sure the Canadian-specific manual ends each sentence with"Eh?".

Jeff_Barrett and A.M like this.
  20. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    and the US with Y'All

Jeff_Barrett and A.M like this.