need opinions on mods.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by westbrookhvac, Feb 3, 2003.

1. westbrookhvac

westbrookhvac New Member

I have a 2001 VFR 800 1600 miles, d&d slip-on , k&n filter, front sprocket change(1 tooth down) . I was wondering what the general opinion is on the power commanders? good or bad. nobody seems to have them in stock for the 2000/2001 VFR's so either nobody is buying them or everybody is buying them. thanks for your imput. also any other mods that would be useful?

2. BigBiker100

BigBiker100 New Member

I put a PCM II on my 2001 VFR.  The bike has a K&N filter and Micron slip-on.  The PCM was a big big disappointment.   :(  :( :(  Call  the tech people at Dynajet.  They will tell you what to expect with a stock VFR, except for a slip-on and K&N.  i.e. not much performance improvement.  

P.S. DynaJet is the manufacturer of the Power Commander.  Get the 800 number from their web site.

3. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

I put the PCII on my 98 VFR. With a TBR C5 Oval and K&N air filter, it dynoed at about 105 HP SAE and 55ft-lbs of torque. Stock it made around 95 Hp and 52 ft-lbs. The biggest thing is the reduction of the dip at 5K RPM. The bike has much better throttle repsonse and pulls harder on acceleration. My buddy rode it this weekend. He had no idea I had done the PCII, he immediately asked what I had done to the bike because he said the change was quite noticeable.

Here is the big kicker though. I took the bike to a tuning shop and had them make a custom map for my bike. It cost me $250. You can dload all the maps you want that supposedly match the configuration of your bike. But in reality, every bike is slightly different. Having the custom map made removes all doubt. Of course you could still try some of those free maps before shelling out the cash for the custom work.

You can see the write up I did of the whole thing on my website at sfriday.com Just look in the PRESENT BIKES section.

Adios,

4. Guest

Guest Guest

The power commander itself just optimises any (improvements) made to the bikes breathing by optimising air/fuel and timing.Its part throttle tuning is the most noticeable thing when riding around.Vfrs are pretty insensitive to ignition timing changes and air/ fuel
    changes.So on a stock bike anyone expecting big gains will be dissapointed.Stock vfr,s have about 95hp, With a filter,desnorkelled,and a pipe, tuned with a pcII,up to 106hp.I just had my bike mapped with erion headers fitted and it had 111.1hp at 11000rpm with 110hp from 10500-12000 With 58ft/lbs torque at 8750rpm.If you,re
    real keen a vfr 870 kit will give you around 120hp at the tyre but its a big investment.So think of the power commander as a electronic jet kit that needs altering whenever you change the breathing and you,ll be on the right track.