Need suggestions for new rubber.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by AlexM27, Mar 2, 2011.

1. AlexM27

AlexM27 New Member

I'm due for new tires and need some advice as this will be the first set that I have ever bought since owning a motorcycle. I do mostly highway miles with some minor curvy back road riding. Want something that will last a descent amount of time and perform on wet pavement. I'm currently looking at the Michelin Pilot Road 2 as my top pic so any advice you guys can give would be awesome.

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yea! another tire thread! :bravo:

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of threads on this topic if you use the search feature. However, the Michelin Pilot Road 2 are top notch. Doubt you'll find a thread with any complaints.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    +1 Pilot Road2

4. AlexM27

AlexM27 New Member

Sorry about starting another tire thread...

I've been looking at some reviews of the Shinko 009s and see that people are generally happy with them and seem to get good mileage out of the rear (12k miles +). Is anyone here currently running them and what are your thoughts?

5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
  6. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I can sum up all the tire threads this way:

The bottom line is buy a tire marketed toward your riding style.

It really doesn't matter what brand because there are a lot of quality products out there. Ford/Chevy, everyone has an opinion and you won't find one "best tire". What works for others may not work for you. And the best thing is, if you ride your bike a couple times a week, chances are whatever you buy will be worn out by the end of the season anyway. So you can try something new next year!

7. AlexM27

AlexM27 New Member

Thanks guys... think i'm gonna try the Shinko Ravens out this time around they seem to be pretty descent tires for the buck!

8. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    For all the money bikes save on gas, we probably pay it back in tire consumption.

Remember to take it easy on new rubber until they get broke in and you get a good feel for them.

9. AlexM27

AlexM27 New Member

Thanks man, i'll be sure to take it easy once they're on. But the cost wouldnt be so bad if we didnt have to pay $100-150 to get the tires mounted and balanced. Anyone know anybody inNorth NJ to help me out save a few $$?

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    You'll save at least half that if you're willing to remove the wheels yourself. Bring the wheels in and it'll probably run you about $20-$30/wheel for mount and balance.

11. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Ahh, another northern New Jersey guy here. Maybe I missed your introduction post? I'm by Hackettstown.

Here's the bottom line - any dealer is going to charge and arm and a leg to install and balance. If you don't buy the tires from them, then they charge you an arm, leg, and some other appendage to be determined at the time of paying for it. Bring some vaseline just in case, and all will be well. :wink:

You can try these guys if you want;

Three Bridges, New Jersey, E-Ton America, Honda, Kymco, Suzuki, ATV, Motorcycle, Scooter, UTV, Dealer, Used, Parts, Accessories

They are in Three Bridges, but if you venture down Route 287 (Yikes!) to exit 17, its another 10 miles from there. Hell, I'd even join you for the ride down there.

They've treated me very fair (considering a dealer), and I have no complaints at all about them.

I don't recall the exact prices, but I'd expect its going to be in the $100+ range as well.

12. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    You guys in New Jersey are getting hammered on tire installs. Seems like $30-$40 per is the norm in most places - $150 is deplorable. Alex, not sure what you'd be spending on the Shinkos, but both the pilot road 2's and road 2ct's are being closed-out and are cheap right now (the 3's have been released), between $220-$250 a set and would represent a nice upgrade over the Shink's.

13. Interceptor1

Interceptor1 New Member

Pilot Road 3 :smile:
    MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 - MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 | Sport Touring Tyre for Motorcycles

14. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    I have not found the PR2's to be lower in price yet. I went looking last week and found them to be the norm: $272. However, the guy at cyclegear said, "Wait a month or 2 and they will really drop."

I went with the M3's (since the M5's are already out) for a whopping $200.

15. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    ^^^ Yeah, I'll be riding M3's for as long as I can get them. They're so cheap right now, I'm considering buying several sets. It wasn't that long ago that I was paying closer to $400 a pair. On the PR 2's, a few places have them in the $250 range: Motorcyclesuperstore.com and Kneedraggers.com, but I'm sure you're right in that they will be getting even cheaper soon enough. I've never riden them, but weren't they originally $350 or so?

16. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    Correct on all cases here. They were expensive. They are coming down. But still way more than the M3's.

I purchased a set of Diablos that had sat in a garage for a while (like 6 months). I put 2200 miles on them and they were still very slick. I put the M3's on Sat and they are sticky out of the box and I have 200m on them and I'm quite comfortable in the corners. I agree that I should get acouple of sets of M3's while they are low. But, alas, I'm afraid that if I let them sit for some extended period of time, they will become like the Diablos. So I will take my chances.

17. AlexM27

AlexM27 New Member

Currently on bikebandit:

M3's - $200/set

MPR2's - $256/set

Shinko 009's - $167/set

Based on the price and reviews I read on the Shinkos i'll have to go with them and try em out myself.

I currently dont have a garage and no centerstand on my bike so bringing it in to the shop is the easiest option even thought its gonna cost me $150.

18. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Please keep us posted on the Shinko's, I was looking at them a few months ago. I went for a Dunlop Road Smart, don't know if its the best tyre but I got a really good price.

19. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I had a set sit in my garage from May through the middle of August (4 months of summer temps) without any issues, if that is at all helpful.

20. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    It could be I got a bad set or they were in the garage longer. Either way, I'm very happy I got a screw in them. The M3's have 50 more miles on them today and dropping the clutch got a 2 inch wheelie. No spin at all.