Need the SCOOP on the 06 VFR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by kevin171, Jun 2, 2006.

1. kevin171

kevin171 New Member

This is my 1st post so just allow me to say hello and thank you in advance for your replys. I,ve been trying to figure out what bike to buy. Ive looked at the Ducati Monster S4RS a mean machine. and the CBR 1000. I test drove the Ducati SR2-1000, and the Triumph ST triple. I'll be test driving the VFR next week, and the salesman swore I would love it both as a beater around town as in short couple hour blasts, and as a bike that you can log serious highway miles on. Ive been riding a 1998 Harley Sportster Sport , all done up with high performance parts , but my thought of it being fast came crashing down on me with those previous test rides. Ultimately what im looking for is a fast bike, more sport than tour, something FAST with a few more creature comfortd than the CBR and the S4RS, so can you tell me about the performance of the VFR! Sorry this post is so long. Thanks

2. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

The only way to make a Harley Sportster fast is to drop it out of a helicopter...

A VFR will meet 85% of your "Sport" requirements. It will meet 110% of the rest of your requirements. From what I've seen, you can hop up a VFR with nice suspension parts and keep up with the big dogs in any scenario save a race track.

Get the VFR, you will NEVER regret it. If there can only be ONE bike in your stable, the VFR will work for anything you throw at it except for offroad riding. I really like the Monster S4R. I would love to have one. However, I only really have the disposable income for 2 bikes, one for me, one for the wife. Since I need a single bike that does it all, I got a 2000 VFR and freakin love it.

KC-10 FE out...

3. kevin171

kevin171 New Member

OK Hworth, thats one for the VFR. Thanks for the reply, But Hey go easy on the Sportster. LOL

4. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    All I can say is...I LOVE MY VFR!!!!! Ok now that the yelling is over...it absolutely rocks over my 86 Radian. It is a comfortable ride and has plenty of power. I find it easy to maneuver as well. And it's got that sweet single-sided swingarm. Woohooooo!!!

5. red ryder

red ryder New Member

Get the vfr, however be advised you will on occasion have feelings of lust for Italian twins. I sold my yellow 900 SS SP about 5 years ago and bought a 2002 vfr with abs, great bike, comfortable, reasonably fast and worry free. However I have been peeking at a new Ducati 1000 Sport. Ducati's are great at draining all discretionary income you may have. They are way more "personalizeable" than Jap bikes. My only real complaint is dealing with the squids at the local Honda dealership......

6. kevin171

kevin171 New Member

Yeah, The Ducs are nice ,but as you say they are $$. I am just all over the place on what to get. I,ve been doing so much reading that I think Ive found every opinion on every sport bike. I'just dont know if I want the versatility of a VFR, or straight Sport bike ie. Liter bikes. and even then where I really havent riden that type of bike should I look for a 600 like the Ninja 636 which I'm sure is fast in its own right! Man?:confused:

7. fairfaxbiker

fairfaxbiker New Member

Kevin, I have been in the same boat. For the past year test riding the Monsters, 749s and Multistradas. Each time I put on my leathers, ride my VFR to the Ducati dealership, take a few 20-30 minute test rides and realize the VFR is a better ride for me. I have the 2000 VFR and it really has more power and better handling than any of the 1000cc Ducs (more hp too). I wanted to and still want to buy a Duc but it is soooo hard when the VFR IS a better bike....smoother, more power, way more technology, guages and creature comforts. Let me know how the search goes. Bottom line, if you want to impress yourself get the VFR, if you are trying to impress someone else spend more money on the Italian. My VFR with off road exhaust has lots of soul.

8. kevin171

kevin171 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Always nice to get some input. Supposed to be taking an 06 for a ride , waiting for dealer to call, hopefully tomorrow. Anyone out there own an 06, would love to here from you especially about the transition with the valves at 7000rpm,s. Thanks, Kevin

9. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    LOL!!

I hadn't heard that line before.

10. VFR4ME

VFR4ME New Member

HD owner too

I've wasted THOUSANDS of dollars over the years trying to make Harleys get out of their own way. Have an 06 Electra Glide in my garage now. It's a shame that every manufacturer is kicking the crap out of them in performance. They're all about how much money they can make. Got tired of it a couple of years ago and bought a Gold Wing. Didn't like it and bought a Hayabusa. Great bike but couldn't ever get it comfy enough to ride all day. Looked at and rode the Sprint ST, Concours, etc. until I rode a VFR. I'm picking my 04 VFR up Sunday and I'm riding it about 500 miles home. The bike feels like it should do everything I need. If it does then I'll have an Electra Glide for sale. I'm excited.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    kevin, you are going to get very biased opinions here, but most of us have owned other bikes and this is the one we all choose currently. I think at last count, I have had around 10 bikes starting with dirt bikes and moving to the street as I got older. I had a pure sports bike and it was faster, but not much and it was harder to ride unless I was going balls-out. the vfr is a good compromise without compromising much.

12. AZVifferGuy

AZVifferGuy New Member

My first bike was a 1993 CBR-600F2 which was great in the twisties but brutal on long rides. After riding two 625 mile days back to back it was time to find something easier on the body. I rode my friend's 1994 VFR-750 and was shocked. Long story short, I've owned three VFR's and absolutely loved each one. The first was a 1995, second was a 2000 VFR-800FI (a friend is planning on buying it) and my new 2006 Pearl White with OEM hard luggage.

I love that fact that I can hang in the twisties and still ride it from Laguna-Seca to Chandler in a day! The bike rocks and the reliability is awesome. It's a question of "do you want to ride?" or "do you want to take it to the shop for maint all the time?"

13. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard someone say about a Hardly Doesrun. I am a VFR newb too and have loved the first 1000 miles on my barely used creampuff...bought a '98 w/ 4700 mi on it!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Why do Harley owners have tassels on their handlebars and clothing?

To be able to tell if they're moving or not !

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  14. screwtech02

screwtech02 New Member

You cant go wrong with the 06 VFR man... I had a 95 FZR 1000, and then had a 02 R1, and my new VFR is the best bike i have ever owned to this point. From a riding standpoint, its just great, comfortable, great performance, outstanding looks.. You will find it WAY cheaper to mod than the Hardley could ever hope to be... Figure on around 15-1600 to mod it, Staintunes, pc-III, body stuff, ect. It will be a wise investment, and a FUN ride....

15. brianereed

brianereed New Member

16. kevin171

kevin171 New Member

Well everyone as u see i havent been on in a while cause I was ( am) still undecided. In fact I have a deposit on a Suzuki GSXR-750 but Ive had the deposit for 3 weeks lol, and they haven't called me yet? Strange! The bike is in the showroom? I don't know? I appreciate the input the VFR is a sharp looking bike, but the GSXR is quite nice too. I'm in pain, ahhh!

17. VIFFERMAN03

VIFFERMAN03 New Member

Map
    VFR.....Yea or nea???

Kevin,
    The question is do you just want to ride fast for short rides? Or do you want to ride fast all day in relative comfort? If your answer is the latter then you want (need) the VFR! I love my '03 VFR /w ABS and my problem seems to be going slow enough to not attract the attention of the law.

Vifferman03

18. japfan

japfan New Member

Just picked up an '06 VFR, Pearl White (non-ABS) about two weeks ago. I considered similar bikes as you did before I went with the VFR. I looked at the FZ-1, S2R 1000 and the SV1000S. I agree with the previous quote "buy the VFR to impress yourself and buy the Italian to impress others". That really was why I didn't choose the Ducati, besides the price. The other bikes just didn't compare to the smooth styling of the VFR. The single swingarm, beautifully crafted footpegs, etc. Look closely at the suzukis for the detail. Besides that I agree with more upright riding position being more comfortable and the bike offers plenty of power. Gixxers are a dime a dozen, but they work if your looking for pure power. You may be able to get a better deal on the VFR as well.

Impress yourself.

19. VFR4ME

VFR4ME New Member

Just bought my 04 ABS from the previous owner last Sunday. Rode it from Tampa to north Georgia (mostly in the rain). It was everything I'd hoped for. Had trouble going slow enough sometimes for my girlfriend to keep up in the car. I put Genmar risers on at the first dry spot (about Macon, GA). That helped some. My hands and neck have to get used to the new riding position from cruisers but this is lots more comfy than the Busa I owned.

20. ethan

ethan New Member

first off gidday to all from perth western australia (this is my first post)
    kevin go the vfr it wont dissapoint
    i have a 04 bought new about 6 months ago and have done 15000 kms on it and love it
    i use it as every day work horse and on weekends for pleasure and reckon its the best bike ive owned
    the last 11 years i rode harleys 80 cube and 88 cube loved them both as well before that different jap bikes sport and roadtrail and one k2 sidecar also motoguzzi 850 lemans all of them had good and bad points but had a good time with all which is what its about
    in my opion the vfr deserves its mr versatile nickname because it really does do it all well and looks good doing it
    as i said go the vfr it really wont dissapoint
    enjoy