Nevermind...or 1984 Honda VF500 F2

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MiReS_V, Jan 11, 2020.

1. MiReS_V

MiReS_V New Member

Croatia
    Carry on as planned...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    RllwJoe and NorcalBoy like this.
  2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    :eek:why ? it's all pointless.

MiReS_V likes this.
  3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Musta figured it out, lol

MiReS_V likes this.
  4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Let's all give him a "Like".

MiReS_V likes this.
  5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Hahahahahaha, done

6. MiReS_V

MiReS_V New Member

Croatia
    Well, I made introduction post with pictures and all, but got no reply, no welcome or anything for days, while other introduction posts got replies after mine, so i thought i wrote something wrong, got discouraged and deleted post and pics. Was about 1984 Vf500f2.
    Well thanx for replying now

7. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Welcome, you might get more replies if you post nudes too. At least from Randy.....

MiReS_V likes this.
  8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    It's rare an introduction gets zero love, especially with pics in the first post.

Welcome and re-post some pics.

MiReS_V likes this.
  9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Welcome. There is going to come a time where you are gonna wish you had just kept your head down, rofl. And don't mind squirrelman#1, he really means no harm, the 500's just get his blood boiling.

MiReS_V likes this.
  10. KarlR

KarlR New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome,
    Sorry I didn’t see your intro, but I am not on every day. I am sure I miss a lot.

I just bought a 99 VFR last year, but my wife has an 86 VF500. She bought hers new and it was my inspiration to find one of my own.

This is a great site with knowledgeable people. Good to belong to with an older VF.

MiReS_V likes this.
  11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Hey there fella. I don't just hand out my nudes willy nilly for just any reason you know.

MiReS_V and KarlR like this.
  12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I suspect my hearing aids were in getting repaired when you first posted your intro otherwise I would have seen it. Welcome to the World of, albeit well intended, insane viffer owners and wannbies. If at first you fail, then try, try, try, again. Even with failure, practice makes perfect.

MiReS_V and KarlR like this.
  13. MiReS_V

MiReS_V New Member

Croatia
    And now i got some love here, yay! Much appreciated. So, lets start again:
    Title was: Hello from Croatia (1984 Vf500f2)

Greetings all !!
    I was bored few days ago, browsing through local ads, found this '84 vf500f2, bought it. I was old enough to drool over those bikes back in the 80's, so when i saw ad, i took the bait. Wife said i' m officially in middleage crisis. Didn't ride it yet personally. Bike is running, seems in decent shape, 67k km,...in short version: fingers crossed
    So idea is to bring the bike to its former glory. And ride it,off course
    I have metalwork shop at my disposal and some really handy people to help me with it.
    Already I found some useful info here, and i'm hoping to find more about technical stuff as I will work on it. Tomorrow I start breaking it apart Good thing is that even 10+ years old post here is still relevant for this bike. Respect to all who contributed to this big VF database over the years.
    This is how bike looks now:
    honda-vf-500-f-500-cm3-slika-124176686.jpg IMG_20200109_144028.jpg IMG_20200111_230255.jpg
    This is how I would like to see it when/if finished:
    vf500f2.jpg
    Quick Q: i belive this colors above are factory colors from that year. Can someone confirm that please?
    I like it more than red/white.
    So, again tnx all for welcome and wish me luck.

KarlR, RllwJoe and Samuel like this.
  14. KarlR

KarlR New Member

United States
    Map
    I don’t know. Bikes were offered in different color schemes in different countries. My 86 has a red/white/blue scheme with a red seat, but I have seen many pics with a black seat. Many parts for these bikes are no longer available, so you may not be able to keep it totally stock.

MiReS_V likes this.
  15. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yes, that should be correct for the 84-F2. I could only find 85 brochures and didn't see that scheme. If you like it, that's all that matters. I like it.

Oh, and you fuckers with your factory full fairings. :)

MiReS_V likes this.
  16. MiReS_V

MiReS_V New Member

Croatia
    Again tnx all for replies.
    @KarlR, about parts, i will refer to that lower in post
    @Captain 80s,lol for full fairings.
    About color, i'll change it. Found that blue/white scheme on few other photos on net, mostly european, so that's probably factory color, at least looks like it .Fairings and tank will need some repairing, so I'll need to repaint them anyway.
    Since 80's bikes bring me back to memories of happy times(again, midlife crisis sign) i want to go factory look.

About the bike... Idea is to keep it stock, but upgrade brakes and suspension, by that i mean make it more 21st century friendly, just to increase safety and comfort, not some crazy racing upgrades and stuff.

About work... Most of breaking apart, cleaning, smaller repairs i can do alone and in family. My father in law owns metalwork shop, that's where the bike is now.
    There i have everything, tools, materials, whatever i need, that's where i will work on it.
    And my brother in law works in pretty high tech R&D company with all 21st century tools and workshops in house. And he knows stuff(built bikes as kid, built cars from scratch, racing cars, etc.) and has friends who build modern cars and bikes, some produce high performance racing parts and stuff, some rebuild old bikes and harvest and rebuild parts all around so i think i'm covered for most stuff.
    Hell, we even joked that we could make carbon fairings, just for a kick of it, rather than repair original ones.

About parts... I'm aware that i could encounter problems with obtaining some of them due to age and technology of the bike, but on the other side, as mentioned above, lots of suport all around.

Forks, carbs, engine, etc. I will let professionals do their magic, and it shouldn't cost me too much, if anything.
    I'm in no hurry with it and i'm looking forward to get my hands dirty and learn stuff from people who know.

And now i need to stop, i just can't keep it short. Sorry.

Captain 80s likes this.
  17. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    be very careful whom you let work on the bike, and be sure to acquire an online or paper copy of the service manual.

get the engine warm and run a compression test to check the internal health of the engine. inspect tops of valves for distortion and check clearances.

VF500's have one of the smooooothest-running engines ever, but very few are running well now unless they've been properly maintained over the years and not abused.

GOOD LUCK with it !

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2020
    MiReS_V likes this.
  18. MiReS_V

MiReS_V New Member

Croatia
    Tnx for advice. Above I just explained my starting point, without all that I don't think I would venture in this old school motorcycle business . My bro in law I trust completely, and if he recomends me some of his guys for some job, that's legit to me. They are all serious auto-moto guys.
    And off course, main thing is that bike is still healthy enough to be worked in.
    I paid it 800€, not so cheap, but it's a runner, insured, registrated and all till September 2020, i can ride it as it is.
    But its winter here also, so i have some time to mess with it till riding season starts.
    Idea is to go up to total of 2000-2500€ in expenses. We all know you can't get that value back, but with this numbers i can live with. If I can get reliable(more/less:)) bike to commute and do weekend rides for that, i will be super satisfied.
    Today I start with work on it, so if i remember to do pics and videos, should I start new thread about it so i dont have q&a's about it all around the forum and in what section i should start thread?

19. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yes, start a new thread in 1st gen. Looking forward to it.

MiReS_V likes this.
  20. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome!
    I love the idea of carbon fiber fairings.......not sure my vote counts though.
    Looking forward to your rebuild thread.

MiReS_V likes this.