New '97 VFR 750 Rider in San Diego

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by eth727, May 24, 2006.

1. eth727

eth727 New Member

Hey all, I'm Ed. I'm a brand new motorcyclist and '97 VFR owner in San Diego. Anyone else around this area?

2. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Ed! Welcome to VFRworld. I'm up in the Bay Area, but San Diego is a beautiful area. How long have you had your 97?

3. eth727

eth727 New Member

Hey Mike. I just bought online yesterday and will be having it shipped from FL in a couple days. I am totally brand new and still in MSF school. Take my 1st range practive tomorrow and the following week get my license. People have been warning me to be careful once I start piloting my VFR.
    I won't be able to ride it once it gets here because it needs new brakes and a new rear tire. I'd like to put a fat rear tire like all the rest of the cool looking bikes out there. I'm wondering about the gas mileage though. Oh by the way, I won't be racing it. Knock on wood.

4. Rsal86

Rsal86 New Member

Hey Ed, I'm around Hemet area which is only about 1 hour away from you. I have lots of riding buddy in San Diego.

tip: Choose your riding buddies wisely. Make sure they are ALL responsible riders and won't take you to the LION'S DEN right away. :confused: (i.e. Let's go to Ortega and just follow my line (and you being unfamiliar with the canyon). As soon as the first turn hits, your buddy is gone and you're all by yourself trying to navigate your way to unfamiliar territories). Exercise caution.

Fat Tire on the rear looks cool BUT for your riding skills, it may not be advisable. Fatter tire means extra rubber on the side which will make the bike stands up most of the time. You'll need to learn to compensate for that. Again, considering your riding skills , it maybe an "unnecessary" move that you need to learn right away.

Put some 180s on the rear for now and enjoy the ride. Don't worry about being cool. Riding a VFR makes you cool already...

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with Rsal86 about the tire. Go with the stock size. You'll turn quicker with it than you would with a wider one anyway...