New harware on front brake rotors ?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by a1gatorz, Jun 22, 2015.

1. a1gatorz

a1gatorz New Member

United States
    Hi all , wanted to get opinions on the need to replace the mounting hardware if I change my front brake rotors . I own a 87 VFR700F2 & am planning on changing my old rotors to a newer wave design . I am aware that on some other certain brands & models of bikes it states its mandatory . I have found no such demands in my manuals pertaining to my bike . I have a good condition parts bike that I have removed the rotors & the hardware looks fine to me . Please let me know what you all think ? THANK YOU !

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

In the current Honda Service Manual is does say to replace the rotor bolts and the calipers mounting bolts if removed. This is because they are ALOC bolts, which is to say they have a special coating on them (read: loctite) and are meant to be replaced after each use. Another meaning of ALOC: Aplpy Loctit Or Crash! :wink: That being said, I have yet to replace any of my rotor bolts or caliper mounting bolts and have not suffered any catastrophe! (knock on wood). I just make sure the threads look good, clean, put some blue loctite on them and torque them to spec.

Excerpt from the 2002+ Honda Service Manual.

Untitled.jpg

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone using crummy (Chinese) tools or poor technique to remove the rotor bolts has most likely rounded out the heads, making retorquing to specs difficult or impossible.:confusion: