New here, need advice on exhaust + potential deal on 2015 vfr

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by genesis563, Mar 29, 2016.

1. genesis563

genesis563 New Member

Hey guys, so brand new here and need some advice. Local dealer is selling a brand new still in box 2015 VFR800 for 10,000$ + tx. I'm in Canada btw, does that seem as good a deal to you guys that it does to me? And if so, one of the only mods i was thinking of doing on it would be getting a slip on. Do you guys know if there's a concensus out there on whether or not we have to get an aftermarket FCU with the customized fuel maps for whatever slip on i do end up getting or is that all a waste of money. It seems to me that the on board computers already do that job so i'm not sure what use it would be to buy one.

Thanks guys.

2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Genesis. I would say there is not a consensus as there are arguments on both sides. I think a lot of people have put on slipons and never melted their engine to the ground. But then a lot of people ride a bike a few years and dump it at the first major maintenance. So a lot of people are not good for opinions.

http://www.micronexhaust.com/faq.php/70

Micron alludes to altering fuel for "engine durability". Using very generic text they seem to kind of sort of indicate that maybe the engine is running leaner with their muffler. Leaner means hotter. Hotter means less life. The VFR runs hot as heck already and bikes are already as lean as they can be from the EPA mandates. On the other hand it is also one of the most reliable motors ever built and there is no proof that the flow is fundamentally different, and these motors go 200k miles. So should one worry about it? My choice was to refuel my bike. But I've also gained some serious power from curing the lean condition.

Fuel controllers are not a particularly good value, that is true. Dynojet just raised prices dramatically.

I think this boils down more to your personality and personal choice than anything else. No matter what you do, stay up on oil changes and coolant changes to keep that motor in good shape.

3. genesis563

genesis563 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah might just get the slip-on asap for the aesthetic/ audible qualities of it and then think of the fuel controller whenever i get a few extra hundreds to drop on it.

Yup can't agree more, this might not be my forever bike but i definitely want to keep it for a while so i'm going to make sure i stay up to date on all the maintenance stuff. Just gotta find a servicing manual and some wiring diagrams for some eventual troubleshooting if any comes down the line a bit later!!