New member, currently on a R1200RT

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lateralus, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all, from Nottingham in the UK!

I currently ride a 2010 BMW R1200RT, which I use all year round for commuting, weekend fun and the occasional tour. Luggage, weather protection and a shaft drive are therefore all important to me. My RT is on about 53k miles, and expensive repairs are an ever-increasing risk. I'm also finding it a little unwieldy on my new commute, which includes a lot of filtering. I have to confess that I'm also hankering after something with a bit more poke I'm the engine department!

A decent-looking 2013 VFR1200F has come up for sale recently, and I'm going to take a look next week. It has the larger OEM top box, plus the wind deflectors/hand guards, and looks from the photos to be in decent condition.

I won't be able to test-ride this particular model, bit is there anything specific to look out for?

I'd also love to hear from anyone who has had both the VFR1200F and a RT, to understand the differences. Is the VFR going to make a decent commuter for both low-speed town work and reasonable weather protection through the winter?