New Member Here...

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Katastrophe, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Katastrophe

Katastrophe New Member

Canada
    Map
    Just stopping by and saying "Hi". I'm already on another VFR forum, but I figured you could never have too much good information on hand.

I picked up a brand new, left-over 2014 VFR800F in Victory Red a few months ago...drove from Wpg to Medicine Hat to snag it up.

The trip was almost perfect, except for a semi chucking something off the back of his load, bouncing off my car and hitting my VFR...

The car took no damage (I swear it bounced off my sunroof) but the bike had the right-side mirror torn off and some scratches on the body work/headlight. Insurance helped me out BIG (if you rent a trailer from Uhaul, grab the extra insurance...GREAT company to deal with). I plan on doing the work myself...if anyone has previously replaced an OEM mirror, plastics and potentially a headlight, a few pointers are welcome!

The bike is currently in my garage waiting for spring...where I'll fix her up to 100% as well as install a few accessories I've had my eye on. Namely a set of OEM panniers (or Givi, maybe), possibly the quick-shifter (as I prefer reverse shift pattern) and an exhaust. I've narrowed it down to an Arrow, Akrapovic or DAM. I'm leaning towards the DAM because it looks and sounds killer.

My history with bikes is very limited...my first motorcycle...I can't wait to hear the remarks on this one...was a 2007 GSX-R1000. I loved that bike and rode the tires off of it. I sold her after only 2 short years due to enlisting in the CAF. Needing to fill the motorcycle void in my life and now requiring something easier on my back, I wanted a true jack of all trades bike...like the old UJM. IMHO, the VFR is one of only a few bikes that fit the bill.

Cheers!

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome to our forum, a lot more fun! I've had my red '14 since the beginning of Dec 14 and love it. It came with the Honda quick shifter, which is the normal shift pattern. There was much discussion on trying to make it into racing pattern, but would entail much customization, not a simple task. Maybe an aftermarket unit might do it. I have had my eye on the DAM as well, Matte can with polished end, I think it visually matches the bike better than the others. I have had most of my plastics off, not hard once you get the hang of it. Two hints: use little plastic dishes to isolate the hex button head bolts, there are 3 types, with different shoulders and threads. Easier to keep track of where the came from. Also a little jewelers screw driver will help popping out the plastic fasteners. Everyone complains about them. Don't force anything, just wiggle panels till plastic tabs release.

3. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    Dang, I've always heard of the deals on leftovers that have been in crates for a couple of years.

Sounds like a great way to lower the cost and still have a new bike.

Welcome to the Forums, from a guy who has only been here half a year.....

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Welcome. I will be out your way likely next summer on the bike. Should be there for a week or two touring around reliving memories. I escaped there a while back. I had to get a leg prosthesis because of them fukken mosquitos there. Gnawed me damned near clear to the bone. JK of course. Maybe we can touch bases in the summer who knows. What part of Winnipeg?

5. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! Sorry to hear of your mishap on the way home, but happy for you that it will be taken care of.

Have fun making it your own and hope winter won't last too long for you!

6. Katastrophe

Katastrophe New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Allyance - From what I've gathered from photos of the QS, I can easily convert it to reverse shift, it's just that I'd lose the QS function. Rearsets alone are way too damn much...Sato IIRC were selling some for more than an exhuast...this was just a cheaper alternative for me. I'll take a closer look when I get mine and see if it's possible to 180 the sensor...that way, I'd retain the QS function while having 1U5D.

That combination for the DAM is exactly what I wanted. Matte can for sure and was thinking polished end cap. It adds a bit of "pop" to the bike. That or the CF end.

Riding a 2000 - There are actually a lot of 14's and 15's still kicking around for amazing deals. FWIW, I got around $6K off mine.

34468 Randy - Haha, yeah the blood suckers out here can get vicious! I don't blame you for leaving. That and our roads are (still) garbage! Meeting up for a ride would be great. We're located in the east side...

OH!_Anne.Marie - Oh, spring/summer can't come soon enough. We had a really late snowfall this year, so I hope it doesn't mean we'll have an extra long winter!

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I will try to look you up. Originally from EK but last lived St James. Family still in EK. And Ste Anne but that's not the Peg.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, what a deal and what the luck of the indecent, Crazy huh, good to hear all though a bummer it's taken care of.. You did good. welcome to the site. LOL No chuckling at the 1000 susz they're a great bike for what they are designed to do, lots of wheelies ;)

9. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome katastrophe. Good group here.

10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the madness from Kormifornia :wave:

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome fellow viffer
    Enjoy the bike-- bummer what happened but fixable and enjoy this madhouse of misfits--- well maybe just a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk