New Orleans to Tampa and back

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by eightangrybears, Mar 4, 2013.

1. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

So my dad invited me to meet him and my brother in Tampa for Red Sox spring training and since I live in New Orleans, I thought it would make for a perfect Spring cruise excuse. I don't really care about spring training but it would make for good family time and being that it's only about 650-700 miles and I have a bunch of vacation days saved up, I figure why not.

I am going to leave after work on this friday (the 8th of March) and get about 200 miles down the road before I make camp for the night. Might actually camp, maybe stay in a hotel. Haven't decided yet. Not a lot of change needed to make that decision last minute, though.

Then, I will have a nice leisurely day Saturday and a short morning ride Sunday to meet him and my brother from PA in Tampa. I will be returning starting Wednesday the 13th and spend all day Wednesday and Thursday making the return trip.

It's a pretty straightforward journey without a ton of options (pretty much coast road or highway with a couple offshoots) but I was thinking there must be some awesome hidden gems along the way that are worth stopping, gawking and being an annoying tourist with an iphone at. I've been to Apalachicola before and know that area reasonably well but who's got some suggestions? There have to be some awesome stopping areas, seafood hangouts, great places to drink a coke and then move on, etc along the way.

I would also be up for anyone looking to join in the ride if interested. I have a street bike so offroad may be out, but a nice coastal cruise couldn't hurt anyone...

Let me know what ya got!

2. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    The absolute best option would be to continue over to Daytona and enjoy Speed Week. The whole state of Florida should be crawling with motorcycles.

3. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

While that does sound like fun, it doesn't look like its in the cards for this trip. Maybe if my dad hadn't broken his leg on his bike late last year he might have rented one and rose over with me but this trip looks like west Florida/gulf side only...

4. white_335i

white_335i New Member

Sounds like good times. I am glad you are taking your time to ride there. That will make it more enjoyable..

5. troutkiller

troutkiller New Member

Map
    just saw this thread. cool to see someone in nola on here. im from nola myself and live here on the coast now. i do however frequent the city and even occasionaly make it to bike night at the blue tomato in metarie. thinking of riding to the WERA races at the track this weekend. we should hook up and ride sometime