New owner with a few questions

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Dlancer, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Dlancer

Dlancer New Member

Hi Everyone. My name is Dennis and I just purchased a 1984 VF750 Interceptor from my Son. He bought the bike last year with just 5900 original miles. The bike looks like new and appears to have been well maintained. I will post some pics as soon as I can. Now to my questions. I have read about the Cam oiling problems and was wondering just how big a problem this issue was with these bikes. A few years back I had a 84' V30 Magna that never gave me any problems and my Son had a 85' I think 700 that had a few miles on it and it had no problems. Until I can do one of the oil mods what can I do to try and make sure I have no problems. I'm 53 yo and I just cruise on my bikes I really dont beat them or ride them hard. My other question is are these bikes really cold blooded. I have to let this bike warm up for 10 minutes before I can ride off on it. It will not hold an idle until the temp gauge gets out of the cold range. Thanks in advance for any help and I look forward to hanging out on the forum and learning lots of good stuff.:smile:

2. canib

canib New Member

Map
    Fisrt off welcome. You'll really like your VFR.

I can only answer a part of one of your questions. My Honda 650 Nighthawk, 1984, was never cold blooded at sea level, but when I moved to Vegas at 2000 feet above sea level it became cold blooded. The mechanic I took it too said MANY older Hondas took a long time to warm up properly, but if you didn't mind some sputtering you could take off with the choke up.

good luck!

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Hi, D. Welcome to the group. You might try a search of the forums (if you haven't already) to see what tohers have said about the oiling problems. I think if you are just cruising it you probably won't have a problem, but I have no first hand experience with it. I am sure someone else will probably chime in with some better info here. I have had no problem with idling with my 3rd gen when the engine is cold.

4. jchag1718

jchag1718 New Member

Welcome aboard Dlance. I have read alot about the cam oiling issue and there are as many opinions as articles floating about. Here's what I have learned.

First we're not talking failure as in parts breaking up in the top end. Its more like premature cam wear. Maybe some pitting and light scoring of parts.

Second not all bikes develope the problem. I have seen more 1st gen bikes around w/o an oil mod than with it.

Third if your bike has survived as long, like mine, then it probably won't ever become an issue.

Now it can be extra insurance to have an oil mod. Especially due to the age of the bike and how hard or long you intend to ride it.

But I believe if you keep your oil fresh (every 3000-4000 mi) and keep your rpms above 3000 (don't lug the bike ) you'll be okay. And one more thing warm the bike before riding (temp gauge off of C ). Mine is cold natured too.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hi there and welcome yes as stated they are some what cold blooded just thier nature ,they will in the warmer season pretty much just start with only a little choke, but when it gets cooler yea takes a bit.. On the subject of oil, yes, premature cam wear was the problem, not all VFs had the problem like metioned above I've seen more VF with out the oil mode than had it so, yes change the oil to a good synthatic get it warm and your good to go.. don't be affraid of rapping it up either, belive me they like it, sounds like you got a good find now go out and ride it like it was ment, have fun, ride your ride, be safe.