New Product - motorcycle mounted garage door opener

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by tinkerinWstuff, May 23, 2012.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    local guy finally brought a product of his to production. Compact stand alone garage door remote to mount on your motorcycle. Nothing to hang on your keyring and nothing to remember or fumble for in your pockets. I don't have one yet but it is getting good reviews from the local sportbike community.

Mo-Door.com

See the website for more information like product compatibility. Pricing appears to run around $80-$100.

[​IMG]

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Good for him. Hope it works out.

I have a garage door opener. A/K/A my wife. I pull up, honk my horn, and she opens the garage door. It only cost me about $2,387,467 so far, but its still in the developmental stages.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I can modify the existing remote for around $10 from radio shack, just saying not mean to put down his product. Great invention but not practical. There are other product that hook up to the hi beam switxh for around $35

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'm impressed with how such a small gadget like that can open a bigass garage door.

So if I see some dudes in hoodies carrying 12v batteries near my garage, can I shoot em? ;)

5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Everyone doesn't have our skills. For a stand alone unit that doesn't require any integration etc, it's pretty good. Cost comparable to some of those key FOB type garage door openers.

6. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I sure as hell would. Well, maybe if they had skittles. But that's even optional as I live in the "old" west.

7. chainedlightning

chainedlightning New Member

Map
    Wow, $80 to start? I get the idea of someone doing the work for people who can't make their own, but $80? Why not just buy one of those mini garage remotes from Sears and stick it somewere out of sight?

8. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    it's called paying for convenience. If you don't see the value, don't buy it. The unit is smaller with an easier to access button when you have gloves on.

sheesh, bunch of negative ninnies around here.

Why buy expensive motorcycle gloves when I can just wrap my hands in duct tape for $3bucks

9. Badbilly

United States
    I read somewhere that they worked great but weighed 85lbs.

Good thing you can handle all this shit.. ;)

10. chainedlightning

Map
    Easy, there... I perfectly understand paying for convenience, as stated. My point was that $80 (to START, more if you want better switches or to not drill your fairings) was, IMO, too steep price to pay for said 'convenience.' I could see $40 or $50, but not $80 and up for a solution that has many less expensive alternatives. From a business perspective, I suspect he'll make far more money by volume with a price drop than by trying to maximize his profits on fewer units shipped.
    Your example of $3 worth of duct tape in place of gloves doesn't hold water, either. Duct tape wrapped around my hands would not work nearly as well as a less expensive set of gloves. When I mention less expensive alternatives, I consider them to be realistic working options, such as a small remote mounted in a subtle location for 1/4 the price, which would work equally well, and not leave you with a hole in your fairing if/when you decide to sell the bike. I suppose you could just leave it installed and hope the new owner has the right kind of garage door opener and then buy another one for your new bike, or buy a new fairing piece to fix the hole... hmmm. Nope, still not worth it. :)

11. chainedlightning

Map
    Oh, and I almost forgot - my opinion disagreeing with yours doesn't make me a 'negative ninny.' One might consider my opinion (and resulting reasoning) to be completely realistic and therefore positive. ;)

12. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    When new products hit the market, it is always a challenge to judge where supply and demand will come together.

13. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    This opener you have is completely unreliable! It doesn't work in all weather conditions, if you call on it at the wrong time it can make a horrible noise for hours after use and it cost more and more every time you use it! I'm thinking $80 is not too much to ask for a product that doesn't involve cutting into wiring on the bike.

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I want one. no i don't... I just want a clean garage... a garage cleaner now that's what I need...

15. Badbilly

United States
    I want to know where I can get some of that Gorilla duct tape for three bucks. IMO it coulld be used to wrap anyone's pinkies and stick that damned opener to a fairing without drilling a hole in the sucker.

Ain't never dumped a bike in my driveway either. That's not a good way to sell a tangible by making up shit that may never happen to move product. That' s for politicians and insurance agents.

16. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It sho won't win no Nobel prize !

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

He's gotta start somewhere, the price will probably change a few times depending on how sales go. The company I used to work for started with a modified garage door opener that was used to control a 35MM slide projector. Now That company is one of the largest control system manufacturers and now make touch screen remotes and a whole lot of other products. The guy who started the company found a product that people wanted and could have made themselves but it was more convenient to buy his product.

18. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Good for him! Best of luck to your buddy.

I made something like that when I lived in a townhouse in LA. I found a remote that was dual channel, mounted microswitches in a custom fuse cover (1983 CB750F has fuses on handlebar clamp) and stuck the remote in the center tool storage box. The black button opened the apartment main gate and the red button opened my garage. I can't find a pic. with final install, but here ones I took along the way. It worked GREAT! I might have to install that onto the VFR if I clear space in the garage for the gal to park in.

garage remote (640x479).jpg garage remote cover (640x479).jpg garage remote switches (640x478).jpg

Jose

19. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    appears he's adjusted the pricing. Down about $10/unit and a discount for multiple unit purchases.

20. Badbilly

United States
    Is that the senders or the number of garages? ;)