New rider needs advice for a fixer up 1984 700

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by cnskinner, Apr 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. cnskinner

cnskinner New Member

HI i'm new to the vfr world and i just got my first bike about a week ago. It starts and runs, but my dirt bike has more power than this 700. 2ND gear is out, it has a sticky accelerator, and i think it has an exhaust leak, it backfires quite a bit. I'm thinking about just buying a different engine for it but if i can fix it up that would be great. any ideas on what's wrong with it now and how to fix it? and any ideas on other engines that are compatible with the mounts and everything with my bike? I want to get this fixed up in the next month or so and have about $1000 to get it up and running like new. this is my first post, ever, so responses would be most welcomed lol

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Welcome,

I am no mechanic but to put on an engine other than what was designed for the bike, opens up a can of troubles that you are going to have to deal with. I am not saying they can't be over come,. but none the less, they will be there. I would seriously look at doing what you can with what you got now. Your reserve funs seem like a very good start on completing your task at hand. I think your funds will start to dwindle when you begin adding none VFR pasrts.

My .02013 worth. (Loonie is trading higher these days)

3. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

If I were in your shoes (and I have been there before) I would clean the carbs real good and make sure the jetting is correct. If it is still running like shit after that sell it and save your money.

The first generation Interceptors are cool bikes but they are not worth investing a good chunk of money into unless they are running perfectly already and have low low miles

4. cnskinner

cnskinner New Member

ya it looks like i'm going to sell it. its too big a project to do myself. i already found another bike a friend of my dad's wants to sell for a good price. and i know he's taken very good care of it. thanks for the good advice