new tires on 86VFR, which to get??

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by vfromey, Apr 21, 2004.

1. vfromey

vfromey New Member

Canada
    Map
    'kay i need a new set and here's what i found shopping around. (130/80V18rear and 110/90V16front stock rims):
    Dunlop GT501(v rated,$305 set) OR Metzlers ME55(rear)ME33(front)(H rated,$385 set) OR Bridgestone BT45 (H rated, $333 set). (taxes in)
    So, i only need these tires mostly for sport touring. the dunlops (cheapest) i'm told are pretty good tires and wears longer than your typical sport tire whereas the metzlers and brdgestones are good sport touring tires. metzlers have the most tread and therefore better in the rain (but wear quicker?). all are biased tires as i am unable to find radials to fit stock rims, well without having to go to a 140 or 150 rear and 120 or 130 fronts, which i'm told i should just stick with stock sizes. So, does anyone have any experience with
    any of these tires? recommendations? 'preciate any feedback!

2. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    Hello man!
    I have only driven th bt45, grip and handlig ok , wears fast and front cups. Stay stock size front, 130/80 or 140/70 rear.

Give the dunlops a try, new disign, cheapest prize and the only one V rated that your bike needs!

3. dougnewt

dougnewt New Member

dunlop gt501

I looped a set of gt501's on my stock 87 700 vfr and am quite happy with them. Dennis Kirk.com will beat anyones deal by $1.00 as long as you do your homework and have a couple of other prices from on line companies. It worked for me.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Not much help other than letting you know what I did, which was to use the BT45. I used a 140/70 on thew rear. I got pretty decent milage as They had 6K on them when I sold the bike, and there was plenty of tread left, front wasn't cupping either, which usally is a by product of tire pressure not being correct. But being the dunlops are cheaper makes for a tuff decession. try this place out, as if I read it right they have the BTs at a lower cost than the dunlops.http://www.tiresunlimited.com/motorcycle_tires.htm
    I've bought tires here a lot so feel safe when shopping there. Hope that helps some.