New Tires

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Greg, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

I bought a 2000 VFR in August of 2002 and I love it, but it's time for a new set of tires. With tire designs changing everyday, what is the best available "sports touring" tire for a VFR? I'm considering Bridgestone BT020's and Avon Azaro II's, but I have no experience with either.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Greg, This is probably the toughest subject there is to give advice on. Tires today are all so good that when it really comes to choosing a tire for the average rider on the street they are all good. It just depends on what camp your in and how you plan on using the tire, and cost at the time your are ready to buy. The hardest problem being each of us ride differently and are looking for that best fit for your style and bike. In my case I do not consider myself a real aggessive rider, I got over 7 miles on my OEM Dunlops. I did recently change tires and went with the Metezler MEZ4 (a OEM replacement tire, but better) which I think may be the best sport touring tire, (this is what your looking for). In my opion a great tire for that, much better then the Dunlops. But, after riding on them for a short time I decided what I really wanted was a sport tire (more grip, less mileage) and went with the Sportec M1 tire. This tire is even better than the MEZ4, its real confidence inspiring for me. So, there is my two cents worth, but here is a great place to go for both reviews and prices, www.discountmotorcycletire.com. Good luck

3. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    The bridgestones are excellent, both in the dry and in the wet. A common config is the softer BT010 on the front for extra grip where it counts most, and a BT020 at the rear to keep wear a little better.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I had dunlop 204's on when I bought my 00vfr then changed to bridgestones 020's much better than the 204's.My next tires were the Dunlop 220's i like these better than the Bridgestones they have great grip and seem to work nicer on grooved highways.

5. Greg

Greg New Member

Chuck, Afterburn and Lance, Thanks for the responses. After much consideration I ordered a set of Metzler MEZ4's. I ride aggressive about 30% to 40% of the time (not too many curvy roads near my house), so I expect to get a few more miles out of this tire, as well as, good grip. I'll post after I put 500 miles on the new tires.

Greg

6. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I've got the MEZ4s on my 02 and I have to say I'm real happy with them with about 3K miles on. Lots of traction in turns, no problems there--the rear is beginning to square off a bit so I don't know how much is left, but I have a track day coming up 4/4 anyway so I'll be putting some new rubber on. Haven't decided what as of yet. Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

HI

My name is Mike. I have a 1999 VFR. I just put Dunlop 207 RR before I ran Keith Code's class at Laguna Seca. The 207's really stuck in the corners. I only have about 300 miles on them so I can't attest to their longevity, but I traversed the track with confidence and the tires performed brialliantly. I don't know about mileage, but when I'm on the track, I want maximum stick. I also live in the mountains east of Fresno, so most of my riding is in the twisties!

Mike