New (to me) 2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC with PCIIIUSB installed, need advice

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Skot_2003_VFR800, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Skot_2003_VFR800

Skot_2003_VFR800 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey all! I'm new to the forum and to the VFR world. I have done a modicum of research, however I am very ignorant to the ways of Power Commanders. I bought a used 2003 VFR800 VTEC with 15k miles and it had been sitting since last August. The bike has been recently inspected and other than the getting fuel situated (have no idea if it is the old fuel or not) it's good to go.

What I don't know about is the Power Commander. It is a PCIII USB with 111-410 on the sticker on the side. The bike as Leo and Vince slip-ons. I have no idea if the PCIII is set for the pipes or if it is running its 0 setting or what. How do I find this stuff out? There was no info with the bike about it nor do I have a way to hook it up to my PC. I have installed the Power Commander software and am planning to buy a USB-USBmini connector. I have also downloaded from the Power Commander site a map 111-008 Leovince slipons (sound insert removed) stock or after-market air filter map.

Just before I bought the bike it had a dead battery and the owner replaced it. So my questions are the following:

1) Would the dead battery/sitting for a while have reset the power commander?
    2) How do I go about finding out what map is already in the unit?
    3) Is the map 111-008 adequate for this bike? (It is stock other than the PCIII and slip-on exhaust)
    4) Can I save the current settings in the PCIII and reinstall that map if the 111-008 does not work?

That should get me started. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm looking forward to long ownership of the bike, but I want to get started on the right foot.

2. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Some will be able to give you ideas about the power commander. Meanwhile, as long as you don't post a picture of your ride, no one will believe you have a VFR.

3. Skot_2003_VFR800

United States
    Map
    will do as soon as it stops this infernal raining. shitty day to get a new bike.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    You shouldn't loose your mapping when the batteries dies, I have had my battery in and out many times, not a problem.

If you have a laptop, you can hook up your USB cord to the PC III on the bike, the software will tell how it is mapped.

If you don't have a laptop. then you have to pop the PC III out of the bike and power it with a 9 Volt battery to read maps.

Here is a picture on how to hook up 9V battery:
    [​IMG]

5. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    This is timely info for me - I have a pc3 coming in the mail!
    I also have a 2003 but with a K&N air filter and Stain Tunes mufflers... Possibly a full cat back stainless exhaust as I have no heat shield on the upswung side pipe.

Should I continue with pair valve and flapper mods with the PC3 or should I reconnect to stock?

How about eliminating the 02 sensors and putting in resistors?

Hope the OP is cool with me thread jacking and finds the answers useful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Power Commander recommends the resistors, I did the PAIR Mod and Flapper, I reconnected the flapper because it didn't seem to make any difference.

You will appreciate the improved smoothness below 3K.

[​IMG]
    Found this picture on another post, you can bend leads and do a better job, then tape up. Resistors are 330 Ohms.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats Skot...oh any day you buy a bike is a GREAT day:)

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

8. Skot_2003_VFR800

United States
    Map
    So, no worries about thread hijacking.