New to pretty much everything

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cakedaddy, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Cakedaddy

Cakedaddy New Member

United States
    Hello! Just picked up an '83 Interceptor. Have never owned a street bike, but have ridden dirt bikes (trail riding, not motocross) for many years. Fell in love with the early/mid '80's interceptor in the late '80's, but never pulled the trigger. Actually shopped for them in '89 and test drove a few. But in the end, wasn't meant to be. I LOVE riding in the woods, but there's too much time where I can't ride, because I'm not in the woods! So I decided to get a street bike that I can cruise around on when the desire comes up. So, I immediately picked up where I left off 33 years ago. Shopped for, and found, (what I consider) a good one. I'm still learning about the bike and have been doing minor maintenance to it getting it ready. I don't even have my license yet. . . I have ridden it around the block though!

So, ya. I have a lot to learn and will be easing myself into this pretty slowly. I wasn't looking for a commuter. Just wanted something I can ride along on low traffic country roads. Because, you know, riding is fun!

So far, the community has been very helpful and I look forward to participating more, as I learn more.

20220420_185549.jpg 20220420_185656.jpg

Viffer J likes this.
  2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome Cakedaddy to VFRW.

It looks like a good example of the original Interceptor. How many miles does it have on it?

3. Cakedaddy

Cakedaddy New Member

United States
    Thank you, and a little over 27K.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Congrats. That's probably the perfect mileage for that bike. Enough miles it has been used and serious problems probably would have reared their ugly heads., but not so many that it's a worn out money pit.

Get in there and remove the valve covers for a proper cam and rocker inspection (before spending any more money) and then hopefully to learn how to adjust the valves on a early V4.

Oh, and have fun.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    As you can see from my Avatar (<---) I have some V4 history and owned a VF750F when it was basically new (and I was a lot younger!). I "had" to buy it after an over-exuberant test ride resulted in a hefty repair bill, but that is a story for another time. Your bike looks to be in very decent shape, enjoy it and share your experiences with the rest of us.