New to VFR but not to Honda V4's

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by VFRDweezel, Jan 10, 2019.

1. VFRDweezel

VFRDweezel New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi, my name is Danny, and after I signed up I received a kind welcoming email, and "Yes! I have become a VFR Fanatic" was my answer to Michael's statement about the Honda and it's wonderful v4 engine. I wrote back that I have been a Honda V4 engine lover since I bought my Honda V65 Sabre new back in 1985 here in Jacksonville, Florida and I still have the bike in my garage. I had been waiting for Honda to upgrade the ST1300 for 10 years now and since they haven't upgraded that bike and they also haven't upgraded anything else in their Sport Touring segment to my liking. So I decided that the VFR1200F DCT would be my Super Sport Touring bike. Found a brand new 2012 with DCT at Southern Honda Powersports and purchased the bike back at Thanksgiving time. I'm still getting adjusted to the nice increase in HP and modern fuel injection as well as the feeling of the advanced engineering in the drive shaft compared to my 34 year old V4. HaHaHa. Thanks again for the nice welcome. VFRDweezel

Bubba Utah likes this.
  2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Welcome, That's a nice couple of bikes - do you have any pictures of them.

How are you finding the auto shift?

I'd like the power just not the weight!

3. VFRDweezel

VFRDweezel New Member

United States
    Map
    My '84 V65 Sabre at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in North Carolina 2008
    and Bear Tooth Pass Montana in 2010, and my 2004 RC51 parked along the Dragon in NC. Sabre SGT 2008.JPG Blue Ridge 2017.jpg I'm enjoying the auto shift a lot Diving Pete, it's so smooth when it shifts the 3-4-5-6 gears, just a little noisy and clunky feeling in 1-2 shifts but I'm okay with that.
    Beartooth Pass, Montana 2010.jpg

Attached Files:

Samuel likes this.
  4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard! Great bikes, great photos. I also had a Sabre as my first V4 only mine was an '85 700.

5. VFRDweezel

VFRDweezel New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the Welcome RLLwJoe, do you still have your 700 Sabre? I've only ridden my V65 Sabre so I don't have any reference to compare to riding a 700. The V65 is a Beast at any rpm above 7k, it just goes into Hyper Mode. I'm looking forward to opening up my VFR1200f after break in miles are up. Hang On!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Samuel likes this.
  6. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    I sold it back in '87 when I bought the first version of the CBR 600, a pearl white Hurricane. The Sabre was not overwhelming, but I had the full Honda fairing with a custom fit car radio and speakers built into it. In retrospect that made it heavy and thus less sporty. I did a one thousand mile "iron butt" day on it tho. The shaft drive was quiet, and required little to no maintainence. Not a bad first bike for me.

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Welcome to the group! I actually saw a used 2010 VFR1200 at the dealer that I bought my 800 from. I wanted that bike in that cool metallic red. But I also wanted a new bike. So I got the 800 instead. Have fun!

8. VFRDweezel

VFRDweezel New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you Bubba Utah for the Welcome! There are lots of 2010 VFR1200's for sale across the USA but I wanted the second generation of VFR1200's with the revised engine fuel management software, traction control and other minor improvements over the 2010 model.