New to VFR World and new to sportbikes

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bulldog87USMC, May 7, 2012.

1. bulldog87USMC

bulldog87USMC New Member

vfr1.jpg vfr2.jpg Hello fellow VFR owners. Im new to VFR World and new owner of a 2000 VFR800FI yellow in color (not crazy about the color). Just sold my 1995 Honda CBR600F3. I love Honda but trying to decide weather or not to keep this bike. I am new to Sport Bikes but spent the last 6 Years customizing Cruisers. Wondering what types of mods i can put on this bike but first and formost how to lower a couple of inches (kit needed?) and add frame sliders (cost?).

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Welcome to the madness.......another jaw head :chaingun:
    Thanks for your service
    Will get back on the mod.....when you post some pictures

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Welcome to The World! There is a lot you can do to the VFR to make it better. The beauty of the VFR is that it does a lot of different things well. It can be a Sport bike, it can be a Touring bike. It all depends on what you put into or onto it. Funny that you mentioned lowering, we just had a new member ask the same question last night. Here is the link that I posted for her...

http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-generation-1998-2001/37294-lowering-link-question.html

Oh and BTW, posting pictures of your new ride is a requirement!

4. bulldog87USMC

bulldog87USMC New Member

As requested Two Stock Pics of the "Piss Yellow" 2000 VFR800FI

5. Scubalong

United States
    Hahahaha great job
    Ootvs already response to the lowering question...As for frame slider there are couple option out there, you do need to cut the fairing and the water cooling tank. Let me find the thread for you.....Remember this are not very effective. I bought a set years ago and it still seat in my garage :) I have learn not to drop my bike so often so I don't have to use the frame slider :tongue:

6. Scubalong

United States
  7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the world.

You'll soon learn that your "piss yellow" bike is the fastest color that Honda ever made. So go ahead and paint it, and blend in like all those other posers and wannabees out there.

(As a brief sidenote, 2000 was the only year they were ever made in yellow, at least here in the US).

There are 3 categories of thought on the yellow.

1. Those that love it
    2. Those that lust for it
    3. Those that hate it.

I think we know where you stand!

And yes - I own a yellow one.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

9. bulldog87USMC

bulldog87USMC New Member

after doing some reading about this year and model i did see that it is a unique color, but due to damage to the paint from the prevoius owner (drop and general wear) i have to paint it anyway. what is the stock color and code so if i decide to keep it a yellow belly i can do so?

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the Worldmadness---Try out Lustracing.com to lower your bike, thats what I used on my 2002------ repaint-check out your bike painted RC51 colors-theres a blog some where here on vfrworld--I'll let you look---click on 5th gen to look up mods

11. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    hey now! Go easy on the yellow as them's fighting words!

Don't repaint over yellow! Honda made that color for one year only. Sell it and get any other color you want, so long as it's red.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    But yours is an original custom :boxing: - so yellows OK only

13. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Colorite can factory match the yellow. It is unique to that year and it is a two-stage, pearl finish paint. It is not cheap to repaint, so I can understand the desire to change the color to something that costs less.

That said, the human eye picks up yellow moving objects on average 75% faster than any other color. In other words, it makes the bike safer. That is a good thing. I also almost didn't buy the bike because of the color. Once I cleaned up and waxed that pearlescent paint, I changed my mind. It's staying yellow.

If you look at my avatar, you will see that I have sliders that mount to the fairing brackets. They aren't as sturdy as the frame/engine mounted ones, but they will bend and transfer less energy into the heads and frame during a low speed off. You can also reinforce them if you like to make them stiffer. The best part is that you don't have to cut up the fairing to mount them.

The other thing you can do right away is get some bar risers. You can get the Gen-Mar type riser (I have those) for a little lift, or go with Heli-Bar for a lot of lift. The Gen-Mar only lifts about 1" and doesn't require new hoses. The Helibar can lift 3 or 4 inches and should be put on with extended hydraulic hoses.

Whichever route you go, I am sure you will enjoy your VFR. It is a GREAT all around bike that can be customized to whatever kind of riding you prefer.

Ooh-rah!

Jose

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    You may be used to riding cruisers which are generally lower. Try riding your VFR for awhile as is. If you are only 3' tall, disregard.

Cutting holes in ABS fairings can be done. IMO the fairing must be removed. Trying to cut a hole with the fairing on the bike with a hole saw is gonna end up a mess. Best way IMO is to support the piece with foam and padded clamps, using a drillpress and a flycutter.

15. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

That would be me. I loathe yellow. But I will admit that at least they stand out.

16. bulldog87USMC

bulldog87USMC New Member

im 5.7 and i can barely plant my feet on this bike. from what i can tell the only aftermarket part is the two brothers slip on, which is going to be changed out for an under the seat as soon as i locate a good one. im going to save on the painting and drilling at this time and go ahead and remove the PAIR and lower using the rear shock mounting bracket (that should give me the right amount). ill polish off the bike when i get my VFR legs under me. so far i had driven apx350 miles on this pile of plastic and metal and i have to say its not a bad machine from what i can tell. thanks for all the help guys.

17. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    1. I have a 2BR slip on, but it might be getting towards the end of its life. If you consider selling yours and have any details on it, let me know.

2. Good luck in an under seat option. Hard to come by, but can be had on occasion.

18. bulldog87USMC

bulldog87USMC New Member

i am certianly entertaing the idea of trading my "mellow yellow" for a different color. if anyone has a 2000 of equal or lesser value (26k miles) and wants this "respected" color let me know soon. once i start the tear down on this who can say what it will come out as? i have lots of ideas to include a supercharger kit which might be excessive but i dont care, the cheapest i have seen so far for one is 4K. overall i want a mean (not so yellow) touring machine... I am also looking for a owners + service manual if someone has a copy my email is Chriss_philosophies001@yahoo.com

19. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    All of the 2000's in the US were yellow, so you'd either have to trade for a '99 or '01 in red to get away from the yellow. Unless, of course, someone has already painted their yellow.

The A&A supercharger would be awesome if that's what you're planning on doing. Going from a cruiser to a S/C VFR ought to give you a wake up call.

See link below for another link to the owners manual.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-generation-1998-2001/9081-2000-vfr800-owners-manual.html

20. bulldog87USMC

bulldog87USMC New Member

APPRECIATE YOUR HELP Pliskin... sucks that the options are so limited for that year but if someone has a different year and want the Yellow with slight paint damage (will take pics later) I’m open to trades. If I don’t get a response by Monday it’s going to be a pile of parts. Riding season is here and I’m not going to miss out, will not have my new 1200 Sportster engine for another month. My estimated time to repair and mod the mellow yellow is two weeks to include paint. Every day not on a bike takes a little bit of my soul. I have a couple sketches for ideas to incorporate the yellow I need opinions on. So you yellow lovers please help me out. Keep in mind I’m a simple man!