New V45 owner, lots of ?'s

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Rwheezy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Rwheezy

Rwheezy New Member

Hello all, just purchased my first interceptor a few days ago (1983 V45), have started tearing it down, and have run into some questions. My personal bike is an R1 and this bike just kinda fell into my lap. Looking to get it back to reliable shape with as little money as possible as it will be a learning bike for my dad.

I picked it up with a very rhythmic noise coming from the rear cylinder area, pulled the valve cover and found that the exhaust cam and head journals were pretty well scarred, the lobes (surprisingly) had only a few pits and aren't in bad shape at all.

I've purchased a head from a 1984/5 interceptor 700 engine complete with cams. The head part number is the same and so is the cam sprocket number, but not the actual cams. I know they made some changes like plugging both ends of the cam to build up additional oil pressure, has anybody on the board successfully run the 700 cams in their bike on only one pair of cylinders?. If so, any problems noted? I'll be putting them through a complete measurement when I get them and will report back on physical dimensional fit.

Also, any specific year oil tubes that are recommended? My understanding is around the 1985 timeframe the lines under the cover changed, any idea on what interchanges? I will be doing a homebrew oil mod and want to beef up the whole rear cylinder oiling system.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. twowheelracer

twowheelracer New Member

Get ahold of Jamie @ Daugherty motorsports he dose and knows ton about these bikes
    Terry