New VFR on 2008/2009?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by yiannis, Jan 3, 2007.

1. yiannis

yiannis New Member

Since I'm very interested to see if a new VFR is coming out, I regularly scan all the press for any relevant piece of info (I guess most of us are doing the same).

So, I came across the following mini-news in one of the Greek motorcycle mags (I live in Greece):

"Honda is developing an engine with real variable valve timing, whose production is expected to start by the end of 2008. It seems that a new VFR-VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) will be produced."

I am not sure what to make of this, or where they got the info. Has anybody heard anything similar?

Yiannis

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    My guess is that with motoGP bikes going to 800's and Hondas bike going from a V5 to a V4, they will look at building a V4 800 replica for sale mid '08.
    Honda was the instigator of asking the FIM to go to 800s. I'm thinking that a new v4 800 bike would not conflict with the current CBR1000RR or the 600
    and would make an ez slot in the line up. I have read that the current VFR will be discountinued for '08, so this all makes sense. Hope I'm right - If not I'm gonna buy a 1098.

MD

3. Rev

Rev New Member

It'd be cool to see a GP-style V4 bike for the street from Honda.

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

The sales manager at the closest Honda dealer to me said the cancellation of the VFR is "A Done Deal". He won't show me anyproof. I really can't see him making this up since I told him unless Honda continues to make a bike that meets my specifications I would absolutely take my $$$ to Ducati or BMW.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

5. Miketegra

Miketegra New Member

I would love to see the same thing. Why on earth Honda has not been making GP-style V4's for the last umpteen years is beyond comprehension. They could simply have taken the wonderful V4 from any VFR and put it in a lightweight chassis with agressive ergo's and had a bad-ass hardcore sportbike. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
    Honda's offerings are a bit thin at this point. I think 600's are a little too small, and wayyy too peaky powerband-wise, and I really don't want a liter bike. I love the VFR, but if they made one that sacraficed comfort for performance, well, to ME, THAT would be perfection....

However, in keeping with the thread, I too have heard that Honda is planning to disco the VFR in '08. Perhaps we are hearing about its replacement....that might be kinda cool....

6. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I just don't see how Honda can discountinue the VFR when they have nothing to replace it with. If they had a GSXR750 equivalent in the CBR line, then I could see it. Getting rid of the VFR leaves them with nothing in that space. Why would they do that???

7. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    Whether they have the success they hope for or not in 2007 GP, I would love to see Honda release a special edition 2008 reincarnation of the RC30 with new engine/chassis and of course SSSA!

8. Rev

Rev New Member

I am in total agreement here. I have never thought the stock ergos were too tight, to the contrary I'd like higher rearsets and lower clip-ons. Park that V4 in a CBR1000RR chassis and oh baby, look out!

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    All we can really do is wait and see.. I'm not waiting don't trust em so that 1098 is looking to be a good replacement at the moment.

10. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    H'mmm, last time I rode a CBR1000RR on the track during a Honda ride day I marvelled how uterlly brilliant the CBR's engine is, a solid smooth trust forward from lower to mid range with a deceptive linear feeling but in reality very quick rush up high, the poor ol VFR 800 engine is nowhere close anywhere. My private thoughts after 2 * back to back sessions between my then Gen 6 and the CBR1000RR was how much I wished the VFR power delivery felt like the CBR's, then again on the track I could push the VFR's to a point where it felt a bit Squirelly but even though riding faster was not brave enough to get the CBR1000RR even close to being out of shape.

Mind on the road and in the real world think the v4 engine is in perfect step with the VFR's chassis and compliant suspension and with aftermarket cans on sounds about 10 times better. :smile:

11. yiannis

yiannis New Member

I totally agree with Stewartj239. A V4 GP replica has nothing in common with VFR apart from the engine configuration. The question is: what will be Honda's new sport tourer?

Personally I would like to see a litre sports tourer, either with a beefed up V4, or with the I4 engine of CBF1000 which in my opinion is also an excellent motor for this application.

What I wouldn't like to see is the discontinuation of VFR 800 and no replacement. I fear that in the hunt of ZX-14 (ZZR 1400 in Europe) Honda will produce a similar monster (such as the rumoured V5, 1200 cc, 200 HP, VFR/CBR) and leave a hole in the 'smaller sport tourer' section.

Since I use my bike to commute every day to work, such a bike would be too much for me. If there would be no subtitute for VFR I would keep my current VFR as long as possible, or alternatively go for something like an FZ1 which also make sence as a do-it-all sports bike.

12. Nailer45

Nailer45 New Member

I cant believe how many models of cruisers honda has in its 2007 line up , if i remember its 12 different cruisers.. As far as sportbikes you have the cbr600rr and the 1000RR and the VFR...Dont seem right that the cruisers/posers get so many models to choose from...

Honda no longer makes the RC51 or the superhawk and with the VFR being dropped after 2007 that leaves Honda with nothing but squid machines.

I guess i will just keep riding my 99 VFR until it wont go no more or is banned from the U.S roadways because it uses gasoline..LOL.

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I hadnt heard that the RC51 is being dropped from the line up. That's news...
    Now a V4 800 motoGP replica make even more sense for Hondas lineup.
    We can hope...

MD:smile:

14. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    Honda only built it so they could compete with Ducati in World Superbike.

15. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    All this talk about no more VFR is depressing me. A replica would be great but then what replaces your comfy VFR? A Ducati? For shame Honda, for shame!

16. jeffrozar

jeffrozar New Member

United States
    Maybe they'll have something like the variable cam in the ZX-14 and bump up the displacement.

A MotoGP replica and replace the VFR? I'd say not a chance. From on of their reps in Gardena, MotoGP's public appeal for the mfgrs is cutting edge technology, fast, the latest and greatest. To Honda, that's the CBR. Unfortuately, the VFR isn't the leading edge with Honda; it's a niche bike from Honda's perspective. But as far as taking chances? Not Honda - Honda's run by a person that climbed the corporate ladder in the automotive industry.

Remember the "amazing changes" to the VFR in 06? They amounted to "VTEC rpm change", "clear turn signal lenses!" and "a new font on the speedometer cluster!". Give me a break. And I bleed Honda red, too...<sigh>.

17. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Vietnam Factory

I've edited my post a couple times as I've pulled the thread from the financial / business news... nothing on model specifics - such as the VFR, but a neat read with a world perspective vice just the North Americian market. (VFRworld, right?)

Lots of "green" friendly references in general...so the bikes will likely not get louder, or have less emissions stuff without the consumer's wrenches first removing the stock parts.

--found some more general info from a Honda speech --

India: Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India is planning to expand its annual production capacity from the current 1 million units to 1.2 million units by 2010. Honda’s total annual motorcycle production capacity in India will be expanded to exceed 5.6 million units by 2010.

· Vietnam: In May 2007, annual production capacity of the Honda plant in Vietnam was expanded from the previous 860,000 units to 1 million units. In order to respond to the rapidly growing demand, Honda decided to invest US$65 million to build a second motorcycle plant which is scheduled to become operational in the latter half of 2008, with annual production capacity of 500,000 units. High-value added models such as automatic transmission models will be produced at this new plant.

· Honda has been introducing models equipped with PGM-FI (Honda’s Programmed Fuel Injection) which offers excellent environmental performance to one country after another in Thailand, Indonesia, India, China, and Vietnam. Honda will continue acting in an environmentally responsible manner by expanding the installation of PGM-FI to more models.

· Brazil: Honda’s cumulative motorcycle production in Brazil is expected to reach 10 million units at the end of July 2007. Honda will expand its annual production capacity in Brazil to 1.5 million units by the end of 2007.

· Argentina: The local production of a second model, NF100Wave, will begin in fall 2007.

· Peru: In September 2007, a new Honda plant in Peru with an annual production capacity of 25,000 units is scheduled to become operational.

· As a result of these capacity expansion measures, Honda’s total annual motorcycle production in South America will be expanded to approximately 1.54 million units by the end of 2007.

18. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    Actually I would buy something like this, not for the top speed, but because it intrigues me. To me most 600's seem to generic, or origami in their looks, the new Yamaha and Honda for example. For the liter bikes I would probably go with the Repsol CBR 1000RR. Not really into the Hayabusa (the wife LOVES them though) , definately not the ZX-14, looks like the squid type things in the movie "The Matrix" to me. Flame suit is on, so have at it. I like my '96 VFR because it's different and it fits me.

19. GR8TSCT

GR8TSCT New Member

Map
    2008 Vfr

I have been reading what you guys have been writing. I really! like the 6th generation VFR's and I am disappointed that Honda is going to discontinue the VFR. I still can say I am curious of what they will come out with, but I don't think they will change my love for the 6th generation. A friend of mine said there is a picture out there somewhere, on a forum, that shows the 08. He doesn't remember where, so if anyone can find it, post the picture. Well, off to enjoy a ride on my bike, talk with you later.

20. Tifosi

Tifosi Guest

No More Vfr!

I spoke with a reliable source at a very large Honda dealer and it is indeed true. No more VFR. Cruisers and Superbikes are all the rage and Honda has a surplus of VFR's. There may be a new model in 2009, but not in 2008. Nothing personal, but maybe the soft sales are due to the horrific color options this year?:mad: