New VFR owner (almost)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Blowjohn, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Blowjohn

Blowjohn New Member

Hey guys,

I'm going to get a black 1998 VFR 800 (40000 kms +/-) on friday and I decided to join VFRworld in order to learn more about the bike and to discuss with more experienced people any problems/doubts that might come up.

I'm a rookie rider and even though it's a pretty powerful bike to begin with, I think that if I take it easy and know my limits everything will be just fine (I hope :confused:). After all, VFRs can also travel at a slower, more moderate pace. It seemed like a good bike to start with and evolve as a rider.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get it.

Any advice is welcome and I thank you in advance for it.

Cheers

João

2. azpnshr

azpnshr New Member

Congradulations on your new ride and welcome to the site. I'm not sure if they offer any kind of motorcycle safety classes over there, but it'd be a great start as everyone (newbies to veterans) can learn something.

3. HALUN

HALUN New Member

good choise of bike and as you say the throttle goes two ways so you can ride as fast as you want/cabable of
    check the bike for rotten exhaust down pipes and collector boxes on the 800s
    also the rectifier goes on them and fries the battery
    the rear shock can get a bit past it too around that miles but its general a good reliable bike and those are the only real faults from memory,nothing major,I had mine for 8 years and loved it,it really took some abuse and never complained

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Welcome BJ. There is quite a few Portuguese riders on here lately. Put up a post asking for them and you should see quite a few. Might be some locals near you.

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    congrats. I have a 98 myself. along with the classes if you can take them, check your r/r to see if the newer model is on there. If not, buy a spare and keep it with you until the original goes out. you can find out about the R/R in the VFR Wiki.

6. MarkH

MarkH New Member

welcome to the world of the VFR. I got a 1998 as my first bike last year and on the road I've not had any problems at all. You might have learnt to ride a bike but now you have to learn to ride the VFR. It's pretty forgiving. ONly time I had a small wobble was going through some slush but then that's to be expected.

7. Blowjohn

Blowjohn New Member

Thanks for the welcome and the pointers

I'm looking for those here in the Netherlands but the language barrier is a bit difficult to cross. Even though everybody speaks english, all written information is in Dutch. Opening my bank account and making insurances was all done in English (orally), but all the paperwork and letters sent to me are in Dutch. When you don't speak the language, no matter how nice and helpful people are, you always have that stupid voice behind your hear telling you that you might be getting ripped off.Oh welll...

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately I have to be away from home because of work. Maybe I can find some Portuguese people in the Netherlands.

Cool! Now I know what the guy who's selling the bike was talking about when he told me that the regulator had been changed recently. As I said, I'm a bit of a noob so expect some questions :smile:.

Thanks, I hope that as a rookie my ride will be as smooth as yours has been.

8. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Any idiot can go fast, even really fast straight.

Practise going slow on your bike, figure eights and braking.

Braking. practise braking.

Any idiot can stop by hitting something. That is bad for the VFR, so braking practise is good. I don't do that enough.

9. derstuka

Map
    Oh, I missed the rookie part.....sounds like you have a good head, however, be sure to take a motorcycle safety/training course to up your skills. Always a good idea.

10. Blowjohn

Blowjohn New Member

Where do I park my bike?

I would like to know where I should put the bike when I'm not using it. Should I leave it on the street with a cover locked to a lamp post (it rains quite a bit around here and we get to freezing temperatures), or should I spend about 100€ a month for a storage space/garage?

My gut tells me the second option is better but still I would like to know what kind of damage should I expect from leaving the bike on the street, it's about 100€ less each month.

Please give me your insight on this.

Thanks

João

11. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Welcome! Just don't get too ready to go fast. I agree...practice precise steering and braking. You can crash at ANY speed if not careful. Oh, and watch the "my foot slid out on gravel/sand and the bike fell over thing" as that will happen very easily. I vote for the garage storage. That sweetie is too nice to leave out in the cold and rain! Have fun!

12. derstuka

Map
    Tell ya what BJ, in my current place, I have a parking stall, but no garage. I have always stored my bike at my friend's garage since I moved out of my last garage. However, it is a biznatch to always go over to his place to get it, so I store it locked up with a quality cover in my parking stall. Yep, someone could pick it up and steal it, but that is the chance that I take, and why I have insurance. I also ride it a lot, so it does not sit a lot either. Also, no garages or M/C friendly places around me to rent. My bike is NOT on the street though, and I would never store it on the street or outside if I had extreme weather. SD weather is pretty easy going.

Expect that leaving it in the weather, hot and cold temps and rain/wind to wear on it, and varmints to get airbox/frame/exhaust, and any opening and make a nest. They will chew wiring, and do every sort of mischievous thing that they can. On the other hand, vermin can be in a garage as well.

If you can afford the $$, and want your bike to last, go for the storage.

IMO...I would do the latter if you can afford it. In leaving it on the street, you can almost expect someone to try and vandalize it, or steal it. An off street parking lot would be better, but a garage would be best.

If you must conserve money, then buy a good quality weather proof cover, which can be locked/secured on the bottom, and a new york kryptonite type (just a heavy rugged, tough to beat without a blow torch) kinda lock and lock to an immovable object.

13. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on your bike, and welcome! I do not think I can add anything in addition to what the other members have, so I'll stop typing now.

14. Blowjohn

Blowjohn New Member

It's here! Needs some stuff, though... (tire, valve adjustment)

Woohoo!

I have ridden it for a few kms now and it feels great!! I am not very confident yet because, well, I'm a noob :frown:! I hope that it will eventually come to me. Another thing that doesn't help my confidence is driving in a completely different country where I have no idea where to go.

I went to a motorcycle dealer (a nice guy where I bought my helmet and clothing) and he warned me about my rear tire being a bit worn out, it has about 15000 kms and I think I will have to change it if I don't want any surprises, especially in the rain (and we have a bit of that around here...). A BT021 will do the trick or do you think there is something better (more versatile, cheaper...)?

Another thing he warned me about was the valve adjustment. When does it have to done? How many kms? How costly is it?

I'll try to make some pictures to post here and see what you have to say. I'll also make a video to show how it sounds like :biggrin:.

15. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Blowjohn, store your bike in a garage, with a cover and a good lock and chain around a steel pole.
    You might want to invest in a small "Automatic" battery charger like a Yuasa or Battery Tender.
    Be sure it is "Automatic".
    As others here have suggested.....find a motorcycle riding course for beginners. Most important!
    Good luck.