New VFR owner.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by BenyBarr, Jul 7, 2006.

1. BenyBarr

BenyBarr New Member

hello everybody,i just purchase my first vfr700 1987 white with 14,970 miles on it,the bikes look like just came out of the showroom,one owner all the maintanance records and so on.i would like to know what is the life span of those bikes??? i am planing to keep it for a wile and was wondering if any one got real high millage from his VFR ??
    Thank You all !!!!
    Ben.

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Ben. Welcome to our group. The vfr is a very reliable bike, pretty much bullet proof. from all I have read very little goes wrong, but of course you do have to maintain it :wink: . Mine has almost 42K on it and I would bet there are others that have more than that on theirs, I have a Crystal Pearl White 93 VFR 750 btw. As I was saying, if you maintain it, this bike should last a good long time and provide you with loads of fun.

So once more welcome to the group, Enjoy! :biggrin:

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I heard of someone in europe going over 100000 but I dont know if kilometers or miles. prob kilometers. how many miles is that? I think it was some kind of carrier or something. i thought it was from a post on this site. I think it was a 5th gen though.

4. watto1

watto1 New Member

5. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Hi watto, welcome to the group and thanks for that info. We are glad to have you here. :smile:

6. RogerRamjet

RogerRamjet New Member

Hi Ben, Dave here. I own a 86 VFR and have owned it since new. I have put nearly 94,000 miles on it until I decided to take it apart and restore it. The bike was running (very well) right up to the day it went to disassembly. I would say the reliabilty is excellant. My only issue in all the years is the voltage regulator/rectifier. My bike has used up several. I believe you can modify other honda rectifiers to work, but I'm not positive. I have a close friend who also had a 86 VFR and even raced it a couple of seasons. His bike equally had few problems. He sold it with over 70,000 miles, 2 race seasons and a few 1st place trophies.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    those are awesome stats. I only hope I keep the VFR long enough to get those kind of miles. I feel that higher HP pull that others feel, though. I try to resist. I think about my comfort level and meditate. :)