New VFR owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by VFRIRL, Mar 31, 2013.

1. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Hi all,
    Just bought an 03 VFR and it's the best looking bike I have ever had,only thing is the vtech is bugging me,not sure if this is normal but at around 7000 rpm
    when I am expecting the kick in from the vtech she seems to stall for a few seconds as if she's not getting gas but then she picks up quick.
    what are the cheapest / best mods to improve the fueling?
    Kind of sorry I didn't get a 5th gen with no vtech but the 6th gen is such a class looking bike,had to have it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

First, the VTEC...I have an 07 and the feeling I get when going past the "black line" (what I call the valve change) is more like overdrive in a car. When you gas it hard, it's almost like a downshift. It shouldn't be taking "seconds" though...more like half a second...like I said, it feels to me like the overdrive in an automatic car or an instant downshift in a manual. I may be one of the few people that really likes that kick you get. It can be annoying if you are burning up the twisties in a low gear and keep going past it, but that's not really all that often or that big of a deal to me. I love cranking on the throttle and having it speed up and then give you a blast of "HELLS FUCKING YEAH" while you are doing it...

I have the PCIII fuel management system and it has multiple settings for saving fuel. I pretty much always ride in the economy setting but have switched it up a few times...still has all the power but gets better MPG.

I don't think you'll be sorry you got the 6th gen...I think it might need some tending to (have no idea what the valves needing reseating FEELS like) but will be worth it in the end. Plus, above all else, they just look better than the 5th gens...(start the angry banter towards me now for saying that)

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I'm sure it's nothin a PCV wont fix. Shit, I love it when the VTEC kicks in---almost, but not quite like when I stomp on my Ford Lighting and the super charger kicks in(wish it made that sound thow) ya know , sucking :moon:

4. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Thanks guys,
    Yeah I had a good blast through the twisties today and I think I can learn to adapt to it,it's not seconds in truth,more like the half a sec you mention eightangrybears,I must have been exaggerating a bit,
    So you recommend a powercommander, 3 or 5 ?
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  5. white_335i

white_335i New Member

Welcome to the viffer world and congrats on the purchase. I bought my vfr couple months ago and felt weird when the vtec kicked in. but now I am used to it and don't even notice it anymore. Post some pictures of your bike..