Newbie learning about chains. Help me out boys.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by boonie22, Mar 23, 2020.

1. boonie22

boonie22 New Member

United States
    I was doing some chain cleaning and lubing today
    and come to find I was riding with this bad boy broken.

IMG_3428.jpg

Now obviously this is a problem and I've been testing fate for God knows how long.
    My real issue is I can't seem to find the master link for this chain online. I really just need another clip but I figured I'd buy the whole thing since they aren't but a couple doll hairs. As you can see from the pics, it's a Tsubaki 530 Omega S. Now I've looked around and this doesn't seem to be something they really make anymore or I'm just a terrible googler.
    My main question is can I just use any 530 master link to get this bad boy back together and if not, what's the best option?

IMG_3429.jpg

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    i think u can buy a master link separate from a chain. try to find a rivet type.

3. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    Yes, technically, any 530 link will fit. It's generally good to stick with the same type, but not critical.

You should really use this as an opportunity to learn how to do it properly.
    A good chain tool kit can be had for less than $100,- and will last you a lifetime. Rivet type links are still the gold standard and both quick and easy to fit.

4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Wow you were lucky - perhaps now is a day to buy a lottery ticket. That about to fail chain could potentially have killed you.

I would agree its time for a full replacement - but it it is also worth checking the state of the sprockets. Personally I avoid clip on links - they are fine for bicycles and moped but they are not as strong as a fully riveted chain. Most bigger CC motorbikes place a lot of stress on a chain especially engines with loads of torque like the VFR V4 indeed that is why many manufacturers adopt shaft drive.

Personally I choose DID gold X ring - but there are plenty of alternatives out there which will serve you well.

If you really are a newbie then it is well worth watching this long video which will show you how to split/remove/replace a riveted chain safely with confidence.

Take care - ATGATT

SkiMad

5. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Probably time for a new chain. If you remove that master link and take a length of the chain and see how much you can arc it sideways. If it arcs a lot, the pins are all worn and needs replacement... sprocket condition will tell you a lot too. EK chain has a screw-type link which is easy to install if you want an alternative to the rivet type, but I'd prefer rivet type. Clip style, um no. You were freakin' lucky.

6. boonie22

boonie22 New Member

United States
    Thanks for all the info and knowledge from everyone. I think I know what parts to get this bad boy up and running again. These sunny days are making me sad not riding.