newbie questions....

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by fighting_fires, Dec 9, 2010.

1. fighting_fires

fighting_fires New Member

Ok well first off I am what you would call dumb when it comes to my motorcycle. I love it and want to treat her right, and really want to learn more. I have a 2007 anniversary edition vfr800. One thing she needs is to get rid of the stupid mud flap on the back where the license plate is located. Secondly she needs a new seat, if anyone has read my hot seat thread, im hoping this may help slightly. Thirdly, The handles on the back for a second rider, the two plastics that came with to replace the handle bars when you take them off, they got thrown out when my sister was "cleaning" the garage.

So my question is, where would i purchase these different parts? What are good places to go? How do I know what is right, legitimate?

Sorry if these are dumb questions I just want to make sure i buy the right things from the right places, and since theres too much snow to ride I want to get everything done now.

After mentioning the snow, any preferred type of trickle charger i should get? Or will most any suffice?

2. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I can't help you on the seat, I prefer the stock for easier movement, but Sargent seems to be a forum favorite. I would just purchase the handle covers at a Honda dealership, they're inexpensive. The nasty fender is easily removed with an eliminator from competitionwerks, link below. The picture does not do the eliminator justice, they look fantastic. Unlike other methods, it removes the entire fender while keeping the plate light.

2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Honda VFR800 Standard Fender Eliminator

3. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    +1 for Sargent seat, love mine. I bought mine from Motorcycle Superstore, I've had good luck with those guys and I belive it was the cheapest place I could find it (the picture on their site lies BTW, shows a 5th gen seat, punch in the correct year, you'll get the correct seat). Can't speak to the rear fender eliminator, I modded mine myself and still have it on the bike.

4. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
  5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I know I am beating a dead horse again but the RWB bikes really do need white wheels. Was the very first thing I did to my bike.

6. fighting_fires

fighting_fires New Member

Toe Cutter I 110% agree, ive been looking into that as well. Any preferred sites to purchase the white wheels at?

Also everyone else thanks for the links. I was leaning towards a seargent seat from all the reading ive done here, and thanks for the fender eliminator link as well.

7. ddavidson

ddavidson New Member

Canada
    Map
    There is a Sargent seat for sale at a very good price in the classifieds section of VFRDiscussion.com. I'd grab that one.

8. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    I had seen that as well and was going to direct him there but the ad appears to be gone, I'm betting it sold QUICK!!

9. tomih84d

tomih84d New Member

there are some of the guys out there too that are trimming down the rear fender so it is flush with the bottom of the license plate if thats the look you are goin for

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Just have them powder coated, pretty cheap these days and much easier to clean.

11. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I trimmed my fender, and personally, I think it looks better than having it tucked way up under the rear like the fender eliminator does.

Here's a before and after shot--
    Stock exhaust&fender.jpg Modified fender.jpg

And here's one from sitting on the tire looking to the rear at the underside--
    Trimmed rear fender.jpg

And here's a couple with my new FMF exhaust--
    IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0006.jpg

12. hootiehoo

hootiehoo New Member

United States
    Map
    How are you enjoying the fmf exhaust do you recommend them?

13. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    They sound pretty good. Generally I'm happy with them, but there is one little annoying thing...They didn't put much effort into making the "Y" connection on the mid pipe, so it's a straight shot for the exhaust to go to the right side muffler. It's more of a "T" than a "Y", so most of the exhaust exits out the right side, with very little crossing over to the left side. It would probably be a little more quiet and sound a little better if it were equalized to both sides.

14. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    Now you tell me. I just ordered a FMF carbon yesterday. I hope I like it. Only paid $699. with free shipping.

15. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    DriverDave, Are you running a PC? What map do you have? Have you considered a Dyno-tune?

16. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    No PC yet. Tried O2 eliminators with stock exhaust after changing gearing, but didn't notice any difference. (-1F and +2R really amplifies the surging at steady throttle between 3k and 5k). But, it is much faster off the line :). If I ever do get a PC, I'll definitely look into getting it dyno'ed.

17. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't worry, the first time you open it up in 1st gear from 6k to 12k in a tunnel, your face will hurt from the giant smile you'll have.

18. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Getting the PCIII or PCV and a tune is a very good idea any time you swap exhaust for an aftermarket. Especially true on a 6 gen VFR. The bike runs substantially better with no more surging and no more gaping power drops at mid-tach. Don't concern yourself with huge leaps in HP, just smoother operation.

19. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    FINE, havcar...you twisted my arm! I just ordered a PCIII usb. I suppose I should probably start looking for a decent map to start with, until I get it to a dyno? Do you know anything about Faster Motorsports? Or any other good dyno tuner around Denver?

20. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    ^^^Sorry, you'll dig it though. Yeah, Faster is great. They're very knowlegeable and pricing is very fair. They dynoed mine for around $260 a couple of years ago. When I picked the bike up I mentioned setting the sag and getting a good suspension baseline to start playing around with, they did it right then and there, free of charge.