Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Joe Cleere, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Joe Cleere

Joe Cleere New Member

United States
    I just bought a new 2014 VFR800. I filled out all the paperwork at the dealership and will pick it up tomorrow.
    It is a white base model. Can't wait to throw a leg over it and go. I'm hoping it will be more comfortable to ride than my 2007 Yamaha R1. I'm going to safety wire the R1 and ride it at track-days (eventually). I'm going to use the VFR800 as a sport-tourer and commuter bike. See ya on the road!

Mind_Surfer likes this.
  2. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Sounds great Joe, enjoy your new ride!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

3. Joe Cleere

Joe Cleere New Member

United States
    I had a 2003 Yamaha YZF600R that I rode as a sport-tourer and commuter bike. But some drunken idiot destroyed it when I had it parked in front of my mobile home. He was driving his truck recklessly and lost control of it. Ran over the 600R and smashed into my car. He had no license, no tag, no insurance, and was on probation. Fun times.

4. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Ya Joe, sorry to hear about your Yamaha. Hey just curious was that model the same as an R6?

5. Joe Cleere

Joe Cleere New Member

United States
    No, the R6 and 600R are different beasts. The 600R is a '90's era sportbike that Yamaha sold as a beginner bike and sport-tourer. They stopped making them in 2007.

Mind_Surfer likes this.
  6. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Ok Joe thank you. So maybe similar as the F4i is to the 600RR Edit: or maybe like the CBR650 is to the 600RR

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    My 8th gen just turned 20K miles, you will love it, get decent tires ASAP!

8. Joe Cleere

Joe Cleere New Member

United States
    I was hoping the bike would have Bridgestones instead of Dunlop, but no. It has Dunlop Sportmax D222's. Once those wear out I'll probably replace them with Bridgestone T-30 EVO's. I've heard really good things about them. I always put Michelin Pilot Powers on the R1 and 600R. Loved them, but they wore out too quickly and tended to pick up nails.

9. Joe Cleere

Joe Cleere New Member

United States
    Well, after over a week on the VFR800 I love it. I put the Honda risers on it and it felt just right. I'm not crazy about the stock Dunlop D222's, but I can live with them. Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving holiday.

Mind_Surfer likes this.
  10. PetePower

PetePower New Member

Australia
    Map
    Great to her Joe, I picked up a new 2014 from the dealer about 4 mths ago coming up to 3000kms and loving it. Fitted the R&G knobs, Honda rear hugger and bar risers, front fender extender and NZcam fender eliminator, hope to order a Arrow slipon this week. I had to sell my 1995 Yammy YZF600RG (pics in my Intro post), and looks like now sold just waiting for final payment now. I have no issues with the Dunlops but don't ride real hard anyway. Just love the VFR, 1 tip if you park on a slope c he k she is stable b4 you walk away, mine fell over.... :Cry:

11. Joe Cleere

Joe Cleere New Member

United States
    The same thing happened to my 1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk. I parked it on a slope with the sidestand and it fell over. The sidestand was kind of rinky-dink, so after that I always used the center-stand. Unfortunately my VFR800 doesn't have a center-stand, but the sidestand looks much more robust than the one on my Nighthawk. I don't plan on doing anything to my VFR (except for the already mentioned clip-on risers). Where I live, the police love to pull over bikes with loud mufflers or the color red. It's one of the reasons I chose white. As for the Dunlops, they are not bad at all. I just want any tires that I buy to last a long time (around 8-10,000 miles) and give good traction and handling.

PetePower likes this.