Newby question

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by dbleyepatches, Apr 17, 2015.

1. dbleyepatches

dbleyepatches New Member

Map
    Been a long time since I have been on this site. I haven't ridden in about 15 years following a bad accident. Life has finally come around a bit and it is time for another bike. I have read the beginner posts about starting with smaller bikes but I am having a hard time getting a small bike to fit.

Are the older VFR's lower horsepower or smaller/lighter and easier for a newby to ride? Late 90's bikes in my area are occasionally available in the $2000-$2500 range in good shape. Just wanting to look into all of my options.

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I wouldn't call the late nineties VFRs lightweights~

the main reason for recommending a lighter bike is if you get in trouble it's easier to control.

Threads pop up routinely about what bike people should get, usually about a first bike. I got my 98 VFR at age 52 and it was the first street bike I'd ridden since my teens. The weight was a little intimidating at first but once you're past parking lot speed I don't find it an issue at all. I spent about 3 hours in a parking lot practicing & it all came back to me.

I say go for it~