Night Terror

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Big_Jim59, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Last Sunday morning I decided to attend the Ride For Kids charity ride for pediatric brain tumor research. Registration opened at 8 AM and I was 90 miles away so I had to leave in the dark. I don't do a lot of night time riding anymore because cows and deer do not have running lights and I have found both in the dark..

I was headed for the highway down one of our dark, rural black top roads and I hit the high-beam switch hoping for greater clarity. The instant I did everything went pitch black. I was cranked over in a corner and there was a split second of terror as I fumbled for the switch hoping for low beam. I got light again but I had to swallow my heart as it had migrated into my throat. I played with the switch long enough to determine that the contacts were probably dirty from sitting but not long enough for anyone to think I was signaling for help.

A little electrical cleaner in the switch has cured the issue (I hope).

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    that's a routine safety check that should have been done b4 takeoff. i never ride b4 checking both brake light switches and bulbs.

fink likes this.
  3. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Yep!

4. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    Absolutely, I pre flight all lights and controls, feel and eyeball for obviously loose bolts and check tire pressures before 1sr ride of the day. Usually you find nothing but all it takes is that one time!

VFRIRL likes this.
  5. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I do that too. The problem with the VFR is I never ride at night. The headlights are more of a safety feature for day riding than a necessity for the evenings.

6. Rio800

Rio800 New Member

United Kingdom
    You must have sh*t a brick as we say here in the UK lol

7. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Same thing happened to me one night coming home from work. I had a little CBF250 to commute on and used to go up a track inbetween 2 fields as a shortcut .Hit the full beam switch and it all went dark, very frightening. I think it was the bulb .

8. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Was driving a car on unlit roads Christmas Night about 30 years ago coming home in very twisty roads. Was just on main beam for about 20 mins - no other traffic at all on the road & my progression was 'on the rapid side' - lol.
    Came around a blind corner at about 60mph & the lights went - both fronts bulbs blew together.. Got interesting for a few seconds as both the main & dipped went - lol. I ended up driving home on the 5w sidelight bulbs to illuminate my progress - had to slow my progress down quite a lot after that !! lol

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Had an old CL175 in high school, had my license taken away by the local constabulary for questionable antics, used to ride it down an abandoned railroad track service road to get to, and from, my night job. Loaned the moto to a buddy, he came to pick me up from work at closing, we hopped on the ol' CL and took to the dirt maintenance road to get back to the neighborhood, hit one of the undulations going more than a little too quick, significant air is an understatement, landed, bottomed out so hard the headlight went out...the only light was the fire under the seat that was caused by the battery shorting out against the frame.....ended up getting it going and riding the next 5 miles with no headlight and the forks stuck in the fully compressed position. The good ol' days.

10. jfrahm

jfrahm New Member

United States
    1988 Mustang GT 5.0, leaky plastic headlights. Romped it at night once, discovered there was enough water in the headlights to slosh back and shatter both bulbs when the nose lifted.

Got home (somehow) with just running lights, maybe fogs. Resealed the plastic lenses, new bulbs, sorted.

Great car, sadly rearended hard by a Volvo 240.