No fuel pump spin up before 'start'

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Jasix, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Jasix

Jasix New Member

I have read a lot of the other posts but not getting any answers.

MY 2001 VFR800FI (RC46) last of the good ones wont start. I rode it home from my GF's which is a 100km ride. Called into my mates place to watch the MotoGP. 3 hours later it just wouldn't start. Lights all come up, electric start tries to fire but there is no fuel pressure spin up on 'power up'.

I ordered a new R/R as it has gone 3 times before but that made no difference...

I have removed the fuel pump and hooked it up to a 12 volt transformer, it makes some noises (as if working) but not the 'buzzing' of the usual start up, (maybe because it is not in the fuel tank to grab fuel...

Any ideas? Replace the fuel relay? I don't live in a metro area so can take days to get parts.. The VFR is my only vehicle and I use it daily to run my computer repair business...

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Is the kill switch on?

I felt like such an idiot the first time I left mine on once & searched for 1/2 hour trying to figure out what was wrong~

If that's not it, there's a relay under the seat/rear cowl.

3. Jasix

Jasix New Member

Nah kill switch is on and working. I also have a power toggle switch that I use do to a broken wire in the bottom of the key barrel. That's been working perfectly for years.

I have the bike back home in my garage now, so will start testing all the voltages and connections tomorrow.

The banking sensor still ticks as it should but will test it tomorrow as well.

4. Jasix

Jasix New Member

Seems my battery is running at 19 volts.... I'm sure excess voltage could screw my electricals but everything but the fuel pump seems to be getting power. Pump is working on 12v.... would 19volt make it not work but not kill it?

5. Jasix

Jasix New Member

Multimeter isn't right... Off to get a new one...

6. Jasix

Jasix New Member

It's not the banking sensor that ticks, it's RC2208 relay. The bike seems to be acting like it would if I didn't have my key in it to try and start it. Since I have a 'power on' toggle switch that bypassed one of the 'key barrel' wires due to it breaking I can put power to the bike but it never starts without the key in it. risk of a flat battery if tampered with but cant be started to steal.

Battery is 12.64v with new multimeter so that's not an issue now.