Noise...Is the clutch almost toast???

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Pearl-93, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

Hey Guys,

I have a CLutch Question I believe.
    1993 VFR 750- 16,000 miles

I started hearing this noise last week, and finally have it narrowed down.
    When I begin to move from a dead stop in 1st gear and into 2nd gear I hear a clunking noise from somewhere near the lower fairing.

Also yesterday while I had all the plastics off, I started hearing a vibrating/clunking sound from the left side- near the clutch/tranny?

When I would pull the clutch lever in the noise would stop...
    When I would release the clutch lever the noise would start again...

Any suggestions/ Solutions?
    I just hope the clutch or tranny isnt about to go up in smoke, only has 16k and I dont ride it very hard.

Thanks-
    Steve

93 VFR750F (Pearl Crystal White)

2. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

How loose is your chain? Checked the drive sprocket yet?

P.S. The clutch is on the right side of the bike.

Does it do it with no load on the bike i.e. on the centerstand?

3. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

Chain is tight and to spec...havent checked the sprocket yet though.
    Check sprocket for wear?

Yeah, thx new to the VFR thing (1year)
    Noise is on Left side when sitting on bike - not clutch oops!

I'll check tonite on the load issue:

It made the sounds both while on sitting on bike and standing next to it proped up.
    clutch lever out = sounds
    clutch lever in = no sounds

4. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

Mason-
    Makes the noises listed above always!
    Load is not even an issue, I checked on it...always makes the noise while the clutch lever is out.
    With the clutch lever pulled in the noise stops.

What should I be checking the front sprocket for?

Thanks

5. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

See if the front sprocket is damaged, bolts loose etc...

6. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    Do you have to be moving or will it make the noise when in N with the clutch out?

7. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

makes the noise in Neutral with clutch out.
    Will check sprocket over the weekend for loosening or damage.

If you have any ideas Eddie, please let me know.
    Bike starts and rides fine, just worried that this noise will eventually turn into something serious!!!

Thanks

8. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    I'd cut the oil filter apart and look deep in the folds of the paper filter for specks of metal. A few sparkleys are normal, but very much could mean the tranny is chewing itself up. Use tin snips or a cutter that won't put shavings in the filter when you cut it. I use a special tool that looks like a pipe cutter or a giant can opener. Can't use a hack saw because it will fill the filter with the "saw dust". My '07 does make a slight noise w/clutch out, but is is very slight, and does not clunk at all. Let me know what you find. I think if it was the chain or sprocket, it would make noise only when moving. It's still a good idea to check the sprocket.

9. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

Thanks for the heads-up, but...
    I just changed the oil and filter last week, and didnt see anything out of the ordinary when drianing the filter.
    Too bad bacause I already threw it away (filter) So I cant cut it open and check. I think if it were that bad, it would have been evident in both the oil coming out of the drain plug and what drained from the filter.

Anyhow, I will run the bike for a while before checking this new oil filter. I haven't even put 10 miles on the bike since the oil change. I've had it parked doing other maintanence and odds and ends to it this past week.

I'll let you guys know what I find.
    Thanks Again

10. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    I've been surprised by what I've found in oil filters. The filter will catch and hold any metal, so you might not see it in the oil. I sure hope yours is clean. Just something to check. I check mine everytime I change my oil.

11. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

clutch noise

i have an 04 vfr with 25,000 miles, and had a 06 honda 599 with 10,000 miles, both made the same noise your talking about. It's like a rattle noise. I took my bike to 2 different dealers to get it checked, they said that was normal noise for a HONDA. They said it was the clutch basket, with the balls that engage/disengage it rattling around. My 06 Honda 599, i bought brand new, made the noise from mile 1, and still sounded the same at mile 10,000 when I sold it 1 year later. So I'm assuming it's normal noise. If you know anything else, let me know. Thanks

12. kinome79

kinome79 New Member

Wow, I was going to post my own thread, then I found yours. I have a 1992 Honda VFR750 with 74,000, and it does the exact same thing, and has been for years. Didn't do it when I first got it at 34k miles, but probably started after I put 30k more on it. It didn't just start, but rather gradually kept getting worse until I noticed it. It has really worried me, but I haven't bothered with it too much. Here is what I know.

Only makes the noise when idling below 1500 RPM, never when its in gear, or when the clutch is pulled in. Only makes the noise when in nuetral, just sitting, without the clutch pulled in. Rev the bike, the noise stops. Once engine slows to about 1500RPM it will start clunking again. Pull the clutch in, noise stops, let it out, noise comes back. Doesn't do it all the time. Seems to do it more when the engine is cold.

The noise is a loud rhythmic clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, like something inside is hitting against the crank case, somewhat similar to the clunk you hear sometimes putting it into first although a little more metalic. I think mines coming from the right side, so just figured it was play from a spring or loosening gear or something. It is in rhythm with the engine speed, about four-six clunks per second (CPS, LOL). And again, only does it when in neutral at idle engine speed without the clutch pulled in, so its got to be some sort of free play in the setup I would think.

I have no idea what it is. I've let the bike go in the last few years(its out of state, ride it about two weeks a year), but am having it shipped to me. I will work on fixing it up in the next few months. If anyone knows what this is please help. Otherwise, if I find something out, I will post it here.

13. Paxtonpony

Paxtonpony New Member

This might sound stupid but try synching the carbs. The old CB750's would get that clutch rattle from bad clutch adjustment or the carbs not being synchronized. Sounded dumb to me but I synched up my carbs and the noise went away. Who knows, might work on the VFR too.

14. kinome79

kinome79 New Member

This will probably sound even more stupid.... but how do you sync the carbs? .... Nevermind, I talked to a friend about it. Yeah, now that I think about it, doesn't sound stupid at all. If there is uneven force being applied from each cylinder, it could cause a clunking noise. I'll probably try that when I get it back.

15. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    Clutch noises are not uncommon with the VFR. An inline engine runs a lot smoother than a V-4 causing the clutch to shake a little. My new VFR makes a little clutch noise when in N. Your clutch basket may be worn. Also the engine running a little rough would make the sound worse. It is hard to diagnose a sound on the web. It could even be the clutch release bearing or something it the trans. A clutch noise is normally a rattle rather than a clunk. Maybe a trip to your local Honda dealer is in order. They might listen to it and tell you "It's normal, just ride it". Good Luck!!

16. kinome79

kinome79 New Member

Yeah, this upcoming THUR and FRI I'm doing an engine tuneup that will include a carb sync, so I'll let you guys know if that fixes the problem. If not I'll probably link a video with sound so you can here what I'm talking about.

17. kinome79

kinome79 New Member

Yeah, I haven't forgotten you guys. Actually waiting for some parts to reassemble the bike, and also haven't got my carb sync tool in the mail yet either. Will let you know how it turns out.

18. MarcMicciche

MarcMicciche New Member

United States
    Map

19. kinome79

kinome79 New Member

Yeah, well, after a carb sync its a whole lot worse. Does it anytime its below 1500 with the clutch out. Pull the clutch in and the noise goes away. Its really loud and sounds like its about to throw something with every knock. I'm going to pull the clutch cover off sometime soon, if nothing appears wrong in there, probably going to have to sell her to someone that has time, patience, and ability to rebuild the thing because if its not in the clutch, its in the tranny.

20. Mainerider

Mainerider New Member

Map
    I think that perhaps you are panicking a little too early with the talk of dumping it. If it has not been abused, then 16K is nothing for mileage and wear and tear should be minimal. Yes, they all do make a little rattle in neutral with the clutch disengaged. If yours is making more of a racket than that, but is still shifting fine with no slippage then you probably just have something a little loose. It could be something as simple as the starter clutch bolts loose, which is a fairly common occurence on these bikes. Take the cover off and have a peek; it sounds minor and certainly doesn't sound like a tranny issue.