Non-Ethanol Fuel and MPG

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by stewartj239, Jan 23, 2013.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Back in the fall, my lawn mower started having carb problems. So after the last mow of the season, I took it in to have it looked at. I was informed that the carb was ruined due to running the E10 ethanol fuel. It'll cost me $200 to replace it.

At first, I thought I was being duped, but after doing some research, I found that it is true. Small engines, if not all engines, are better off not running the E10. In addition, I don't understand why it is produced. It takes more energy to make it than you can get out of it. Does that make any sense?

In addition, to my dismay, it has less energy content so it reduces the MPG that your vehicle will get (they don't advertise that, do they?). I tracked down a local gas station that sells 91 octane non-ethanol fuel. I've been running it in both cars and I am seeing the fuel economy increase by 2-3 MPG. Which is inline with what I'm reading on forums for each car.

Starting in the spring, I'm going to run the non-ethanol fuel in my VFR and was wondering what I can expect for the increase in MPG.

2. TheSkeeter

TheSkeeter New Member

Map
    Interesting. I had heard complaints re: carbs, but never really looked into it. Apparently, there are some problems running E that fuel injection doesn't encounter. Found an article on modifying a carb to run E, so there must be something to it affected carb'ed setups. How to Convert a Carburetor to Ethanol | eHow.com

Edmunds.com did a test where they saw mpg decreases of ~20% or so using E85. Now, that's 85% E vs the 10% in gas, so I doubt you'll see a significant improvement switching from 90% gas to 100%. Run a test though and let us know. E85 vs. Gasoline Comparison Test

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    you should talk to the boating industry if you wana get an ear-full...I bought 90 octane non-ethanol for my two-strokes and lawn mower. I use the lawn mower regularly so I am not as worried. Far as bikes, I use the highest octane and say fuck it, I did however recently buy some VP C12 which has lead in it and is about 108 octane for a two stroke race bike. I have to cut it with some low-test pump gas as its a little too much for the motor to handle as they stopped carrying a lower octane that I had purchased years ago.

The farmers get subsidized by the government, so they are on the tit, why would they wana grow something that would be truly usefull such as real corn for food, when they get subsidized for growing sub-par corn for ethanol?

I had the mis-forturne of having to spend christmas in IL, all I saw was farm fields that I was told during the growing season, grow soy, or corn...I couldnt wait to get back to South FL>...F ethanol

4. 91talon

91talon New Member

Ethanol can be good for boosted vehicles, as the point of detonation is higher than that of regular fuel, so they can turn the boost and spark up. (crudely put, I know)
    However, on a regular N/A engine, I have seen/heard nothing but bad things about ethanol because of the amount of fuel it takes to get the same amount of energy as regular gas. (again, crude explanation)

I only run at least 91 in my bike, and only from places that have ethanol free gas, if at all possible.

5. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Here's another link. The E85 decrease is much greater. It is near 30% and E10 is 4%, but that is what the government tells you. I've done plenty of research and those numbers are very conservative. The decrease is greater because it is based on real world factors such as engine HP, etc. My 4 cylinder Chevy has seen more than a 10% increase in fuel economy by switching to the non-Ethanol fuel. Another good place to go is to the car forums. You'll see the numbers that people have posted up.

Ethanol

6. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    This is the most basic reason why a particular fuel type will get more or less MPG's. 1 gallon of gas contains about 115,000 BTU (British Thermal Units), E85 about 85,000 BTU, diesel about 135,000 BTU.

7. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Where does one get non-ethanol fuel? Every pump in this neck of the woods has the disclaimer "contains up to 10% ethanol".

8. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I'm glad you asked. Here is a link that shows the stations that sell non-ethanol fuel by state. Just find your state at the bottom. This is how I found the stations close to me. I'd say there are at least six stations within a 10 mile radius of where I live. I was not aware of them before finding this site.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

9. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    The closest station to me is 3 hours away...I guess thats what I get for residing in the People's Republic of California...

10. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Just for the record: Not 1 in Massachusetts :(

It's a conspiracy dammit!

11. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    After 3 years running the E10 crap, a little mom & pop station in town started carrying non-ethanol 88 octane. Man, what a difference.

12. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    Here in Australia almost every place selling fuel has premium unleaded (95 octane & 98 octane) in addition to the 10% ethanol fuel (E10). Regular unleaded would mostly be sold in country areas.

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    BWeiss, Arnzinator - I guess I'm lucky. I live in Central NY which is no booming metropolis, but there are a number of stations around me that I never knew about. I wonder if the state governments have anything to do with controlling this. I was under the impression that selling E10 was a mandate, but it must not be if you can buy fuel without it.

14. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Have you been able to determine a difference in MPG with the bike? There is no question as to whether it will increase based on the facts about the energy differences. The question I have is how much. Like I said, both of my cars are up over 2 MPG.

15. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    When I switched my VFR to pure gas I noticed about a 2-3MPH increase and a bit more power when throttling up. Also it may just be my imagination but the engine just feels smoother too. As for cars, my Stang has been running the pure stuff from Day 2 (Dealer gave her to me with a full tank of E10) so I have no comparison info there...

PS: What's the point to E10's lower emissions, if there really are any to begin with, if one has to burn more fuel to get from Navpoint Alpha to Navpoint Bravo?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  16. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    Will fill up tomorrow but I'm guesstimating 3.5 to 4 MPG increase. I ride the same route to work every day.

17. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Oxygenated fuels (E10 & E15) provide more complete combustion which in turn means less hydrocarbons out the tailpipe. They also cut down on CO (carbon monoxide). In spite of lower fuel economy you get less emissions.

18. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    You so missed the point...

19. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I understand & agree with you.

I'm just stating some of the reasons why E10, E15, E85 & other formulated fuels exist. I guess to some the trade off (decreased mpg/ less emissions) is worth it. Makes even less sense when you consider how destructive ethanol can be to older fuel systems. How ethanol can effect food prices.... The list goes on.

Seems hypocritical doesn't it?

20. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    So we know you get less MPG with ethanol fuel and the benefit is because of reduced emmisions? But now I need to burn more fuel to go the same distance which means I create MORE reduced emmisions? So what are we saving?