Non-Motorcycle-Specific Jeans

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by LongIslandVFR, Aug 25, 2016.

1. LongIslandVFR

LongIslandVFR New Member

United States
    Yeah, yeah I know ATGATT but Motorcycle-specific riding jeans are expensive and most are not the "wear to work" style...
    I have been down in "designer" jeans that have torn apart upon impact. I am currently wearing Levis 514 (some are stretch some are not but the stretch ones are SO comfortable for riding)

So what jeans have you ridden in? What do you like? What don't you like? Have you been down in them? How did they hold up?

2. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Levis 501's

Blood soaks through nicely so you know where your injuries lay.

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Joe Rocket Blaster Armored Jeans ... wear them at work all the time. AGTATT

Pack a second pair of pants / or some shorts if they are not suitable for your workplace. I'd rather have to carry a little extra stuff and change when I get to work then lose the skin off my knees or worse.

Also sucks when guys get injured because they don't have the proper equipment on that could have saved them from injury, and it causes everyone else's insurance rates to climb for motorcycles. My gear played a massive role in saving my life and worse injury when I had my head-on collision with that semi truck in Wisconsin last year.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

To be honest, I'm ATGATT and only ride with motorcycle specific jeans if I'm commuting and found that the Sliders jeans/pants from Competition Accessories to be MORE affordable than the motorcycle name brand pants. Their jeans, khakis and cargo pants look very close to street clothes so maybe look into them.

I pay about $90 for a pair of pants. Which based on the last time I bought street leans, is maybe twice the price of your typical Levis. Cycle gear has a similar priced pants line and like the Sliders, look close to street clothes.

5. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    American Eagle and gap jeans, boot cut. Never been down in them but I think if I were to slide in them, they would be as strong and resilient as wet toilet paper.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Most riding jeans and/or textile gear is typically a "one time use", depending on the nature of the crash of course. I will say that one of my riding buddies went down in street jeans while we're were sport ring and now rides in a leather suit! Another friend had riding jeans on and although he got a little bruised, he did avoid major road rash, his jeans are history but his skin wasn't.

Of course this is summer time so the appropriate attire would be some riding shorts, sturdy flip flops and of course, the Icon armored vest over a t-shirt. :wink: Ride safe folks!

7. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    In my case, not only the jeans but also my bikes have been a "one time use" Sometimes I still brought the bike home and rebuild. One time I took a glace at it after the crash and didn't even bother to bring anything back home. Except my injuries.

8. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh yeah, I've done that too!

9. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, Levi 501, and Levi Boot cut. Been wearing them for over 50 years, just not the same pair. :peaceful:

10. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have seen to many road rash injuries from armored jeans. The problem is that they are loose and rotate and move when sliding. That and it still does not take much to go through their "Kevlar" patches. They also offer no impact protection or very little. Better than regular jeans which as Mofo said are like wet toilet paper but I only ride in leathers, even in the summer. I gave up all the flesh I want to loose when I was a teenager. The old saying is true, sweat washes off, road rash not so much.

11. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Its simple - genuine "Draggin Jeans" are the only jeans I would consider for riding. They are the only motorbike jeans makers who are officially approved by Dupont to use the "Kevlar" logo on their products. They are not cheap but they are very hard wearing and will protect you when really needed.

They come in a huge range of styles - so if 501's are acceptable for work use - then there are suitable Draggin Jeans to choose from. If you value your skin you may want to make sure you avoid buying jeans with similar sounding/spelling dragon dragging ... from TheBay or similar.

SkiMad

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

This is why I wear armor that is attached to my body and not part of the clothes the same for the armored shorts I wear. I can say that I did low side with a pair of slider pants and not a mark on them but this was about 15MPH.

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Do you use Bohn armor? I have seen it for years as under clothing armor and it looks decent.

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I did at first but I feel that the knee/shin armor still can shift around on you in the event of a crash but also in the summer, since I have the original full Lycra pants, it gets really hot with the typical So Cal temps. The mesh shell set is also pricey on its own (e.g. No armor) and therefore not as cost effective or useful as being able to take off the knee/shin guards like I do now. I will wear the Bohn in the winter sometimes as the added material helps keep me warmer. As much as most textile clothing is expendable and little more than wet tissue, that little extra layer of the Kevlar and thicker (albeit heavier too) denim does give me less to worry about, at least for my peace of mind.

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'm happy to see the crotchless chaps are not a popular here as they were.

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You just have no style savvy BB What's wrong with chaps I would like to know.

I always promoted ATGATT but have to admit, I have been kind of hypocritical as of late. I will wear jeans and hiking shoes when running short around town errands. But I can honestly say, out on the highways, it is ATGATT. Without fail. But that includes a pair of Joe Rocket jeans. I agree that even the riding jeans are not close to being as protective as leathers. The looseness of the jeans will wrap around your legs and start breaking bones and dislocation joints. Agreed, they are better than every day jeans but there is this flaw. Also, they are hot to wear around for the day if you are off the bike. With leather suit pants, they are tighter so will not wrap themselves around but stay put where they are and you will slide on the pavement more easy.

But to get back on point with OP, I would suggest that if you were going to ride with street jeans, you would want some that are not so tight as to wear through right away, but also not so loose that they will grab and twist your legs and feet. Just remember that if they have stretch. they likely have a spandex component in the denim. Spandex is plastic. Plastic melts and burns skin.

17. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I having been riding with just shorts, sneakers helmet and leather jacket-too hot

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The chaps are not at fault here. It's the chaps who wear the chaps. They are horribly oot of style. Style differs from function especially in the aforementioned circles..

I think at one time or another every dude and dudette on here has gone oot on a bike sans ATGATT so I'm calling BS before anybody even starts with the always and never lines..

SOW excepted who will no doubt have his own line of thongs and flipflops in the near future.

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Secret tip-just don't hit anything with your VFR!

20. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

I just ordered a pair of Slider motorcycle jeans from Competition Accessories and should get them tomorrow. I usually ride in Levis or leather pants depending on weather. I figured I try a pair of motorcycle specific jeans for more protection over standard jeans. I hope they are.